Our approach to increase access to healthcare
Access to healthcare is a complex challenge and there is no ‘one size fits all’ solution. Four key factors need to be in place to successfully improve access to effective, quality healthcare.
Awareness of disease and symptoms is essential for screening and early detection.
Awareness flagship project
Raising awareness on breast cancer in Colombia
Many Colombian women are not aware of the risk factors for cancer or of the importance of early detection. The result is that patients present with a more advanced disease stage.
Diagnosis can be complex, but is vital in ensuring that the right treatment choices are made.
Diagnosis flagship project
Testing newborns for HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa
Babies with HIV are more likely to survive if they begin treatment before they are three months old. Therefore, early diagnosis is a must.
Healthcare capacity requires trained teams working together with the right equipment to provide the best chance of successful treatment.
Funding is needed for investment in healthcare and reimbursement of medicines and tests, in order that patients can be protected from financial burden.
Funding flagship project
Proving access and reimbursement support in the United States
Genentech, a member of the Roche Group, runs several programmes in the US to help with patient access once one of our medicines is prescribed.
- 1. PR Newswire, The Avon Breast Cancer Survey [Internet; cited December 2017]. Available from: https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/560112/Avon_Breast_Cancer_Survey_Infographic.pdf
- 2. World Health Organization. Topics: HIV/AIDS [Internet; cited December 2017]. Available from: http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/mtct/en/
- 3. ScienceDirect. Need for Radiotherapy in Low and Middle Income Countries – The Silent Crisis Continues [Internet; cited December 2017]. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S093665551400380X
- 4. Gallup. U.S. Uninsured Rate Edges Up Slightly [Internet, cited December 2017]. Available from: http://news.gallup.com/poll/208196/uninsured-rate-edges-slightly.aspx
- 5. United States Census Bureau. U.S. and World Population Clock [Internet; cited December 2017]. Available from: https://www.census.gov/popclock/