(1) The patient number estimates how many treatments for specific diseases have been delivered in one year. It is based on the medicines sold and adjusted by average daily dose, treatment duration and compliance.
(2) Patients included in all Roche sponsored/funded and supported (eg. IIS, collaborative group, partner) studies incl phase 1-5, where patients have been enrolled.
(4) Medicines launched in the US.
(5) Change in methodology from cash based accounting until 2019 to the accrual based accounting in 2020 for our Grants Donations and Sponsorships.
(6) Grants, Sponsorships and Donations to Healthcare and Patient Organisations are disclosed on a combined basis in 2021, and comparative years 2020 and 2019 have also been combined accordingly.
(7) GenMark included in FTE values only.
(8) Excluding Chugai due to the arm's length alliance agreement between Roche (a major shareholder) and Chugai to retain its autonomy.
(9) Excluding Workday Light Companies (these companies do not use Workday as their leading HR system based on their merger/acquisition agreements).
(10) Percentage of women in executive positions (Global Executives and Corporate Executive Committee) was revised in 2021 and shows an improved methodology.
(11) Excluding Spark Therapeutics (no tracking of training hours).
(12) GEOS is executed every second year excluding Workday Light Companies and Chugai. Due to the switch of the GEOS partner from AON Hewitt to GLINT a new methodology is applied to 2021 results.
(13) Roche conducts safety, health, and environment (SHE) audits of Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMOs) due to their higher SHE risk.
(14) Roche sustainability audits are conducted per Pharmaceutical Supply Chain Initiative (PSCI) protocols and guidance. Roche is a PSCI member and the PSCI principles are embedded in our Supplier Code of Conduct.
(15) Environmental data from Spark Therapeutics, Flatiron Health, and Foundation Medicine are not included in the Roche environmental results.
(16) The Roche eco-balance refers to the consumption of energy and resources and the pollution caused by business activities. It thus describes the total environmental impact of our operations.
(17) The 2019 and 2020 eco-balance are calculated using a revised and improved methodology compared to former years.
(18) Contaminated soil is not included
(19) The increase in 2021 in hazardous waste is due to the reallocation of electronic waste to hazardous waste.
(20) Construction waste is not included.
(21) Core results exclude non-core items such as global restructuring charges and amortisation and impairment of goodwill and intangible assets.
(22) For the year 2021 as proposed by the Board of Directors.
We create value for all our stakeholders and track our performance against key financial and non-financial indicators. These indicators are grouped under our main areas of engagement: