Five facts about lymphoma

San Diego skyline

This year’s American Society of Hematology (ASH) annual congress is taking place in San Diego between 3–6 December, 2016. Read below for some interesting facts about blood cancers.

1. Differing categories

differing_categories_370x208px

Lymphoma is the most common blood cancer and can be divided into two categories: non-Hodgkin lymphoma, which makes up 85% of lymphoma cases, and Hodgkin lymphoma, which accounts for the remaining 15%.1 While at ASH, be sure to divide your time between attending sessions and visiting the exhibit hall to learn more about the latest developments in treatment.

2. Population in perspective

population_in_perspective_740x416px

It is estimated that 1.5 million people around the world are currently living with lymphoma.2 If all these people lived together, that city would have a greater population than San Diego which is home to 1.35 million people.

With a population of this size, San Diego is among the ten largest cities in the United States. Did you know that non-Hodgkin lymphoma is one of the top ten diagnosed cancers globally?2

3. The importance of a number 

the_importance_of_a_number_740x416px

With more than 60 distinct subtypes of non-Hodgkin lymphoma,3 it is a complex group of cancers. On the topic of 60, although December is San Diego’s coldest month, it is also when it is least windy and temperatures do not tend to drop below 60°F.

4. Dates and discoveries

dates_and_discoveries_740x416px

Follicular lymphoma, the most common type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, was first discovered in 1925 and was initially thought of as a benign disorder called ‘Brill-Symmers disease’.4 On the topic of discovery, San Diego Bay was discovered in 1542 and there is now a monument dedicated to Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, the Spanish explorer who discovered it, at the Old Town State Park.

5. A common symptom

a_common_symptom_740x416px

Fatigue is a common symptom of NHL, along with night sweats, fever and swelling of the lymph nodes.3 Hop on San Diego’s Old Town Trolley tram system if you have had a long day and don’t feel like walking back to your hotel.

We wish you all a successful ASH annual meeting!

References

1. GLOBOCAN 2012: Estimated Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide 2012. Available at: http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_population.aspx. Last accessed: October 2016.

2. Vose S, Sneller V. Outpatient regimen rituximab plus ifosfamide, carboplatin and etoposide (R-ICE) for relapsed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Ann Oncol. 2003;14:17-20.

3. Lymphoma Research Foundation. About lymphoma. Available at: http://www.lymphoma.org/site/pp.aspc=bkLTKaOQLmK8E&b=6299689. Last accessed: October 2016.

4. Van Besien K and Schouten H. Follicular lymphoma: a historical overview. Leuk Lymphoma. 2009;48(2):232-43.