Sustainability: Creating value for patients
Nothing is more valuable than people’s health. That’s why we focus on developing innovative pharmaceutical and diagnostic products that significantly improve patients’ lives. In order to do this now and for generations to come, we integrate sustainable, long-term thinking into the core of our business.
Significant breakthroughs in diagnosing and treating serious diseases, as well as improvements in the delivery of healthcare, have steadily improved health outcomes and increased life expectancy. However, universal access to medical advances remains a global challenge. As a leading healthcare company, Roche shares a responsibility to improve availability of innovative medicines and diagnostic tests for patients in need.
Ultimately, lasting innovation is our greatest contribution to society. This is our legacy and a great responsibility for the future as the world’s largest biopharmaceutical company and the leader in in vitro diagnostics.
Our contribution includes:
Using excellence in science to address medical need:
- We invest CHF 24 million in research and development every day; more than any other biopharmaceutical company and third amongst all companies worldwide
- 90% of our molecules in clinical development are considered First-in-Class, which means they are pioneers in their respective treatment category
Using diagnostic tools to get the right treatments to the right patients:
- Two-thirds of our pharmaceutical compounds are developed in conjunction with a diagnostic test to better target treatment, enhance efficacy and improve efficiency of healthcare budgets
- Each year, 340,000 patients are enrolled in our clinical trials and receive the latest standard of care
Helping patients get access to our products:
- In 2013, over 20 million patients were treated with one of our top 25 selling innovative products; an additional 140 million patients were treated with Roche medicines that are now off-patent
- We support over 100 initiatives around the world to strengthen healthcare systems and increase access to healthcare through improving affordability, infrastructure and awareness of disease and care
Browse this carousel to find out how we help patients access sustainable healthcare!