Sustainability: Creating value for our employees
For the sixth consecutive year, we have been recognised by the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) as the Group Leader in sustainability within the Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology & Life Sciences Industry. We’re grateful for the recognition, but even more we’re proud of the people who made this happen: our 85,000 employees.
Our people make our business. They are the ones who keep Roche continually innovating and delivering lifesaving medicines and diagnostics to people around the world. And that’s why we focus on attracting, retaining and motivating highly skilled and diverse professionals who are at the top of their game.
Roche is a great place to work. And we don’t just say that. We’re consistently ranked as employer of choice by our employees and by external groups such as the Great Place to Work Institute. The reasons are simple: we care about our employees. We embrace diversity because we believe the best ideas come from a diverse group of people working toward a common vision. We also help our employees to develop and continue growing in their careers. We want them to be successful, enjoy coming to work every day and be inspired by who we are and what we do.
Tracking our efforts
Here are some ways that we support sustainability by lifting our employees to greater heights:
- We want employees to be engaged and motivated. In our 2013 internal employee survey we reached the top quartile of best employees with 67% of employees engaged as assessed.
- We embrace diversity. We have a 50:50 female-to-male ratio throughout the company, with 21% of key positions being held by women (an increase of 50% from 2009).
- We believe that every Roche employee deserves a great leader. Roche’s seven leadership commitments represent our leadership promise to inspire and engage our employees.
- We want employees to continuously discover, learn, develop and contribute. We invested 126 million CHF in 2013 in learning and development to help employees build their career.
- We want people to reach their potential, further their careers and make their mark. 88% of key position vacancies are filled with internal candidates.
Browse this carousel to find out what sustainability means for our employees!