Roche Diagnostics’ Global User Experience Team (DIA UX) is looking for a design leader to steer strategic design work today while helping the organization grow in design maturity for tomorrow. In this role, you’ll be part of an international group of designers who contribute hardware and software design expertise on teams making the best lab equipment possible, getting diagnoses to doctors and patients with speed and accuracy. These diagnostics machines are used for testing COVID, cancer, genetic disorders and more. In this role, you’ll spend time with product owners and business partners understanding their problems, forming proposals for how design can help, structuring projects, designing research, running project work, mentoring junior designers, upskilling teammates and constantly learning and growing yourself. You’ll be part of building design maturity for Roche with peers who are passionate, energetic and caring in a connected, multicultural, highly motivated team.
What you will do
- Scope and lead work for highly complex medical device and software projects, all with the goal of improving patients’ lives in every country.
- Design research for large projects, spanning many methods, geographies and demographics. You may lead a team to do the research or manage a vendor or both - in the end distilling it all down to the most powerful insights that will move the business and inspire design.
- Identify design and research capabilities that are missing in the global design team and help upskill the energetic and creative designers around you.
- Collaborate in the hiring process to add the best talent to the team as demand continues to grow for the work we do.
- Lead specific efforts/initiatives/work packages that are often high-profile, motivating cross-functional teams towards a common goal.
- Represent the global design team throughout Roche, evangelizing the power of design, attracting the most meaningful and strategic work, and serving in an advisory capacity on critical projects.
Who you are
You are someone who likes a combination of hands-on project work and leadership, looking to work in a place where you have both a high degree of autonomy and strong sense of community. You are curious, kind, and live the idea that “all of us are smarter than one of us.”
- Advanced degree in Design, Applied Psychology or equivalent work experience
- Strong abilities in stakeholder management and relationship-building
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and visual, with the ability to craft persuasive narratives
- Enjoy pitching in to mock-up ideas in sketches or rough prototypes
- Healthcare domain experience (preferred)
- Experienced and trained in a design discipline as well as well-versed in design research
- Skilled in engaging others in-person and online, with experience in moderating workshops
- Fluent in English
At Roche people drive our business and are a top priority. Because we realize each person has different personal requirements, we strive to provide a complete benefits / relocation package that is competitive and, more importantly, meets the diverse needs of our people and their families.