Principal Project Manager, Design and Construction
Note: Job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Who We Are:
At the Roche Group, about 90,000 people across 150 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we've become one of the world's leading research- focused healthcare groups. A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. The headquarters for Roche pharmaceutical operations in the United States, Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer and other serious illnesses. We believe that our employees are our most important asset and are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- The project manager will lead ~5-12 active projects with budgets up to ~$10M each and will have full responsibility for managing these funds to achieve project success.
- Lead and direct vendor partners to achieve project goals.
- The role will also coordinate and need to influence Genentech stakeholders to define the project scope, resolve conflicts and negotiate tradeoffs to meet budget and schedule targets.
- Present to upper management for project updates and funding requests.
- The projects may be complex in nature, and the role requires good judgment and strategic focus to apply the incumbent’s experience to develop the best scope, considering Genentech’s broader business needs.
- Require a strong ability to oversee project teams and fully independently manage the projects with limited assistance.
- The senior project manager is expected to lead projects in an independent manner, requiring feedback direction on a few issues per month from management.
- Successful completion of Genentech specific site training and continual training compliance.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Demonstrate professional conduct when communicating with peers, customers and supervisors.
- Participate in process improvement initiatives.
- Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
Lead Project Execution:
- The project manager is expected to lead between 5 and 12 active projects at the same time in an independent manner, requiring limited support from upper management.
- The projects will each be in the range of $10M - $350M in total project value.
- The project manager has primary responsibility for the project from the project initiation stage through project closeout.
- Key tasks include selecting and bidding out hiring design and construction firms to execute the work, leading project design and construction meetings, managing and updating the project schedule, managing the project budget, obtaining purchase orders, approving invoices, updating the project Unifier database as well as creating formal written monthly reports to Design and Construction management on each project.
Present Projects to Senior Leadership:
- The project manager will be responsible to lead their project team to complete the activities defined in each phase of the project, and then present to senior leadership for funding.
Managing Direct Reports:
- The Senior Project Manager may manage one or two direct reports providing project assignments and mentoring, coaching and developing them to succeed in their roles, as well as resolving escalated issues from their direct reports’ work.
- A small fraction of the project manager's time will be spent supporting broad Design and Construction and Site Services process improvement projects and LEAN initiatives, to improve the processes and functioning of the overall team.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering with a preference for civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical or related field or Architecture.
- Certification in Project Management (i.e. PMI certification) or additional relevant management training desirable.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in a Project Management role, Engineering, Facilities, Planning, or related field.
- Demonstrate excellent communication (written / verbal), leadership, interpersonal, collaborative, conflict resolution, and negotiating skills.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of project design, construction, and management
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office and Google suite skills.
- Exceptional teamwork and collaboration skills are essential to facilitate the work of cross-functional and interdepartmental teams.
- Must be dependable, attention to detail, and proficient in coordination tasks.
- Self-starter and ability to work with minimum or no supervision.