At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work every single day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
The RiSE program (Roche Internships for Scientific Exchange) is a highly competitive student research program at Roche. It offers the most talented postgraduate PhD and medical degree students the opportunity to be fully integrated into our interdisciplinary and international industry R&D environment. As a RiSE student you will enhance your competencies, gain valuable work experience with us, and eventually become part of a world-wide network of RiSE Alumni.
The Neuroscience and Rare Diseases Discovery and Translational Area (NRD DTA) is developing medicines for a range of serious neurological diseases, including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, autism, spinal muscular atrophy, and Huntington’s disease.
As RiSE student in the NRD DTA you will join our group in the Systems Neuroscience Section, and perform at the Roche Innovation Center Basel, Switzerland, exploratory lab work investigating the role of GABAA receptors in glial cells. Your will be hosted and mentored by a Roche scientist who will guide you through your research and provide you with the needed work infrastructure and collaborative network.
During the internship your tasks will include
- Conduct laboratory research and work closely within a team composed of 1 scientist and 2 research associates
- The techniques to be performed includes cell culture, RT-PCR, anatomy/histology, immunocytochemistry, Western blot, immunoprecipitations, radioligand binding assays, autoradiography, membrane potential assays (MPA) and possibly electrophysiology.
- Present your work progress at internal meetings
- Summarize your work (methods and results) for future publication
Who You Are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
Moreover you are/have
- Enrolled in a PhD or medical degree program at a university and are looking to expand your experience with an industry internship (must still be enrolled at university for 50% of the duration of the stay at Roche)
- Works in the field of Neuroscience or neuropharmacology
- Expertise in techniques relevant in the fields of biochemistry, molecular biology and immunohistochemistry
- A solid understanding of neuroanatomy and experience in rodent handling
- Knowledge of electrophysiology measures would be of an additional Advantage
- FELASA certificate or equivalent is a plus
- Interested to gain more experience in neuroscience research in the pharmaceutical industry
- A dedicated attitude to solve problems and high level of team orientation
- Communication skills and proficiency in English
- Able to work in a team setting and in a multifunctional and multicultural environment
Information about application documents and start date
The preferred start date of the internship is [05; 2021] or upon availability. Please clearly indicate your preferred starting date and duration ([9 months]) of internship on your motivation letter.
Applications need to include a CV and a cover letter, as well as a letter from your academic supervisor supporting your application to the RiSE Program. Optional: Reference letters, transcripts…
Please note that due to regulations non-EU/EFTA citizens have to provide a certificate from the university stating that an industry internship is mandatory as part of the university training.
Do you know what Roche stands for? Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you still have questions, then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq
Tags: ROiQQ ROiLS ROiNSC RiSE