Applies knowledge of advanced technology, customer-centric innovation and mechanical engineering. General responsibilities include the identification/evaluation/down-selection/de-risking of advanced technologies, including hands-on prototyping and conceptual or preliminary mechanical design and analysis. Collaborates with external partners and internal business teams to develop and champion end-to-end solutions. Makes independent decisions and collaborates extensively across organizational boundaries.
Practices, mentors and develops company concepts, policies and procedures, familiar with and follows standard practices.
Applies functional expertise at a level to make significant company contributions.
Project goals are broadly defined; defines project milestones; responsible for timely project completion.
Makes major contributions to strategic directions and projects through knowledge of technology and its creative applications.
Drives activities for publication and/or patent potential.
Conceives, plans, and executes projects related to the strategic needs of the company.
Designs and executes experiments to test hypothesis related project outcomes; extracts the full relevance of technical observations.
Applies advanced technical knowledge to multi-disciplinary projects.
Assures experimental quality through sound experimental design; utilizes DOE; assists in the design of experiments for others.
Participates or leads cross functional technical teams.
Develops and maintains internal and external contacts to maintain technical knowledge.
Trains others using a variety of methods on the theoretical and practical basis of techniques, processes and products.
Participates or leads in project planning, process updates and contributes to experimental design. Presents results of projects both internally and externally.
Reviews and critiques presentation for others; presents complex technical data to large and diverse groups; Monitors work to ensure quality, and continuously promote Quality First Time.
Bachelor's degree required plus 12 years of related experience OR
MS degree in a directly related discipline + 8 years of related experience required OR PhD degree in a directly related discipline + 6 years of related experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, creativity, and independent thought
- Demonstrates excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrates an innovation mindset. Able to understand and identify novel applications of existing technology and/or identify and champion relevant new technologies.
- Hands-on skills to design, deliver, integrate, debug and test prototypes for diagnostic instruments, using Solidworks and rapid prototyping tools.
- Able to perform conceptual/preliminary layout of complex mechanical assemblies.
- Able to perform conceptual/preliminary static and dynamic mechanical analysis.
- Expert knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and concepts.
- Able to work independently or as part of a small team of research scientists and engineers, on problems with only broadly defined objectives.
- Able to direct and effectively collaborate with external engineering partners.
- Advises/directs other engineers and partners on the use of mechanical engineering tools, processes and practices.
- Broad knowledge of mechanical engineering, preferably including fluidics and automation.
- Reputation as emerging leader in field through performance and accomplishments.
- Knowledge of medical device engineering preferred.