The head of Engineering and Technology reports to the Sr. Vice President of PTA and is a member of the PTA Leadership Team. This new leadership position will lead a team of engineers (process, automation, HVAC/Utility, etc) responsible for providing technical expertise throughout the asset lifecycle (ie, project feasibility studies, capital projects, and optimization of assets). This function will also closely partner with PT Innovation and PT Development supporting standardization of equipment, processes, and implementation of new technologies roadmap across the PT network. The leader will foster and drive network collaboration with engineers across the PT network and establish global communities of practice for process, automation and building systems engineers.
The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational leadership skills, executive presence and exceptional business and financial acumen. This seasoned leader will also bring innovative approaches (e.g, digitalization) to ensure engineering services and support are delivered in an agile, strategy driven and efficient manner in a highly regulated/GMP environment with dynamic and competitive business conditions. This individual must have exceptional operational and business leadership skills, including change leadership and stakeholder influence abilities, and is able to lead and operate in a networked organization.
● Provide leadership and oversight to the Engineering and Technology function, including creating a vision, multi-year strategies and operating model for a customer centric, globally aligned function. The position will oversee, develop and retain a technical workforce of ~ 30 employees globally. The total workforce will also be comprised of independent contractors and strategic service providers that deliver on a multi-billion CHF CAPEX portfolio.
● Develop PTA capabilities and expertise in process, automation and building (HVAC, utilities, architecture, etc). Ensure engineering processes are efficient and effective. Provide sponsorship to leaders who have direct responsibility for these technical disciplines.
● In partnership with key stakeholders, play a pivotal role in developing and evolving global engineering standards and technology advances. Leverage innovative technologies and tools to prepare the Engineering & Technology organization for future engineering challenges/opportunities in manufacturing.
● Keeps pace with global equipment and engineering industry trends and implications for the PT business. Ensure innovative, sustainable and cost effective design and implementation strategies. Develops excellent partnerships with external engineering firms to leverage external engineering expertise and services to optimally deliver capital projects.
● Partner with the head of Asset Planning to develop a forward thinking, customer focused annual and long term capital plan.
Competencies Identified for Success:
● Global organization leadership in a large enterprise. Proven ability to lead and align an
organization with diverse technical disciplines and global reach; experience
developing/realizing a vision and multi-year strategies. Passion for developing talent
and a culture of innovation, collaboration and engagement. Demonstrated ability to lead
transformation and effectively engage stakeholders.
● Corporate engineering and design functional expertise. Proven success leading global
engineering organizations. Understands right to operate, governance and best practices
in engineering design, including sustainability and energy efficiency.
● Exceptional executive presence and strategic consulting skills. Frames communications
to resonate with their audience. Deeply listens and responds with agility and resilience.
Navigates complex organizational and business dynamics, including the ability to
influence and partner with SVP level executives.
● Strategic and systems thinker who proactively anticipates business risks and has a
strong drive for execution with a compliance focus. Balances need to create an
exceptional workforce experience with need to deliver operational efficiency.
● Exceptional business and financial acumen. Proven coach to others in developing
business cases. Strong enterprise mindset. Strong understanding of manufacturing and
research business drivers and triggers to build infrastructure for the future.
● Ability to navigate, collaborate and influence the global PT and Roche cultures, including
new ways of working. Demonstrated experience and success with building networks and
collaborating with key senior level partners, including Site Heads, global functions, PT
LT and PTA LT members.
● BS in Engineering, with a preference for expertise in process, automation or
mechanical engineering. MBA or advance degree desirable, as is certifications in Six
Sigma, Lean or Operational Excellence.
● Demonstrated success with at least 20+ year experience in engineering and/or
manufacturing technologies, either as a client or service provider in biopharma or life
sciences. Strong experience providing direction to architecture/ engineering and
construction management/general construction firms--and having accountability for
service provider executive relationships.
● 20+ years business experience in progressively more responsible roles. Brings a
generalist perspective from multiple experiences in corporate business environments,
ideally with depth of expertise in engineering design, biopharmaceutical manufacturing
and/or facilities management. At least 15 years leading multi-disciplinary teams and
directly managing people. Experience leading leaders (at Director level and above) and
organizations with a significant workforce (at least 30).
● Exceptional leader—able to inspire and motivate teams to make a big impact and deliver
their best every day. Significant experience leading the development and realization of
vision, strategy and new operating models. Must have successfully held a regional
and/or global scope position previously. Track record of having the courage to drive
change, while balancing risks and pacing for success.
● Outstanding analytical skills and financial acumen: capable of analyzing financial,
quantitative and/or qualitative data and translating into high-impact insights and
recommendations, particularly in optimizing engineering solutions for the delivery of
large capital projects.
● This position will be located in either SSF or Basel. Due to the broad footprint of PT
sites globally, anticipate modest travel (~30-%).
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Manufacturing, Manufacturing > Manufacturing Facilities & Engineering