The Category Manager is accountable for developing strategies and leading initiatives for a large and complex category or a group of complex sub-categories within marketing & sales – data, insights and analytics, for all Roche Divisions on either a global or regional basis. As a member of the Category and Supplier Management team the role is responsible for proactively identifying opportunities, engaging, and partnering with senior Business stakeholders and regional Procurement, and managing Category / Sub-Category suppliers (where a dedicated Supplier Manager is not assigned) to deliver the overall Category performance and savings targets.
The Category Manager is accountable for the effective management of the category / sub-categories using the Roche category management approach, including the development, implementation, and maintenance of a formalized Category Strategy, category buying guides / content, and the overall delivery of high value savings targets. The role ensures input and operationalization of the Category Strategy by engaging with the Category and Supplier Management team, local and regional Procurement, and Business stakeholders to develop and validate the Category Strategy and pipeline of initiatives.
As part of the Category and Supplier Management team the Category Manager has deep category / sub-category subject matter knowledge and expertise in Roche’s category and supplier management approach, and works to ensure this knowledge is shared and embedded to drive performance. The role uses strong leadership, communication, and influencing skills to ensure stakeholder alignment and support to deliver the implementation of Category Strategies and initiatives. The Category Manager works to establish effective working relationships with local and regional Procurement to ensure alignment and the full realization of the benefits of the Category Strategy.
- Collate supplier, market, category and internal data and Business requirements and information, to formulate and validate the Category Strategy and develop a pipeline of proactive initiatives. Work with the required functions especially local and regional Procurement to gather their input and endorsement.
- Manage the collection and aggregation of opportunities and data, and the overall target setting process to develop a pipeline of agreed strategic initiatives.
- Develop and maintain the category buying guides and content.
- Represent the Global Category Leader (GCL) in planning, stakeholder management, people and project management activities.
- Conduct extensive and thorough risk / CSR reviews and incorporate risk and CSR strategies into Category Strategies and planning activities.
- Identify key suppliers, monitor value creation targets, report supplier performance against those. Implement development and innovation programs with key suppliers.
- Develop strong relationships in Procurement, with key Business stakeholders and other functions such as Finance, HR, and Legal.
- Develop strong relationships with senior Business stakeholders. Ensure involvement and engagement in functional decision making by offering Procurement’s point of view and / or alternative solutions to Business priorities and challenges.
- Follow the defined process to ensure contracts developed are compliant and effectively implemented at a global, regional and local level.
- Coach Procurement staff (and project related resources as appropriate).
Education, experience and skills:
- University degree, with Business or Life Sciences degree preferable.
- Business level fluency in English.
- 7+ years in-depth strategic and operational procurement experience with extensive knowledge of category management and advanced strategic sourcing.
- 7+ years overall business experience, including working within a regulated industry for regulated categories with familiarity of relevant legal risks and issues.
- Demonstrated experience in managing global cross-functional project teams.
- Proven financial and business acumen (i.e. total cost of ownership, cost modelling).
- Proven capability in negotiation, conflict resolution and stakeholder management.
- Excellent communication and project management skills with an ability to lead and manage teams effectively in a truly global, fluid, interactive environment.
- Change management and process improvement skills with direct experience in delivering complex business process / organizational change.
- Experience in the application of Strategic Relationship Management principles.
- Expert proficiency in Procurement specific systems and processes for efficient management of sourcing events and contract negotiations (e.g. e-sourcing, e-auction).
Roche ist ein Arbeitgeber, bei dem Chancengleichheit zählt.Procurement, Procurement > Category & Supplier Management