Who we are
At Roche, 80,000 people across 150 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we`ve become one of the world`s leading research focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity, and on seeing each other`s differences as an advantage. To innovate healthcare, Roche has ambitious plans to keep learning and growing – and is seeking people who have the same goals for themselves.
At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work every single day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
The RiSE program (Roche Internships for Scientific Exchange) is a highly competitive student research program at Roche. It offers the most talented postgraduate PhD and medical degree students the opportunity to be fully integrated into our interdisciplinary and international industry R&D environment. As a RiSE student you will enhance your competencies, gain valuable work experience with us, and eventually become part of a world-wide network of RiSE Alumni.
The Neuroscience and Rare Diseases Discovery and Translational Area (NRD DTA) is developing medicines for a range of serious neurological diseases, including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, autism, spinal muscular atrophy, and Huntington’s disease.
As RiSE student in the NRD DTA you will join our group in Neuroscience Discovery, and explore at the Roche Innovation Center Basel, Switzerland, mechanisms that are implicated in age-related alterations of microglia. Your will be hosted and mentored by a Roche scientist who will guide you through your research and provide you with the needed work infrastructure and collaborative network.
During the internship your tasks will include:
- conduct two photon live imaging in acute brain slices and image analysis
- perform animal work (LTK1, FELASA B or similar required)
- perform cell culture assays with human iPSC-derived cells
- work closely within a small team across functions composed of scientists, postdocs, research associates and other students
- present your progress and data at internal meetings
Who You Are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
Moreover you are/have:
- Enrolled in a PhD or medical degree program at a university and are looking to expand your experience with an industry internship (must still be enrolled at university for 50% of the duration of the stay at Roche)
- Expert user of imaging tools such as for example two photon live imaging (ex vivo or in vivo) and image analysis
- Works on a PhD in Neuroscience or related field with expert insights into microglia function
- Hands-on experience in cell culture work
- Creative, persistent, driven, self-critical, and eager to learn
Information about application documents and start date:
The preferred start date of the internship is spring 2020 or upon availability.
Applications need to include a CV and a cover letter, as well as a letter from your academic supervisor supporting your application to the RiSE Program.
Please note that due to regulations non-EU/EFTA citizens have to provide a certificate from the university stating that an industry internship is mandatory as part of the university training.
Do you know what Roche stands for? Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you still have questions, then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq
Tags: ROiQQ ROiMD ROiNSC RiSE