Next-generation genomic sequencing is a new frontier. The complexity and sheer size of the data in the life sciences will make astronomical data problems look modest. Roche Sequencing is not only changing science, but we are changing lives. Our software teams are laying the groundwork for the future by developing powerful bioinformatics algorithms, data analysis tools, and software/systems infrastructures so researchers and clinicians can make better health decisions faster. The path to curing cancer lies in ones and zeros.
Ask yourself: Do you want to work on another “me too” app, ad-tech system, e-commerce platform. Or would you rather build products that scientists and others in the life sciences will use to diagnose, find treatments, and eventually beat diseases like cancer? Our team builds the highly scalable, reliable software and secure systems for better diagnostics.
As a Software Engineer II, you will be part of a team to develop web technologies, distributed systems, and high-performance cloud computing platforms. You will have the opportunity to impact Infrastructure (Platform) and Applications Development as a full-stack developer using your Java skills while helping to develop automation test suites. If you have a passion for the opportunity to build superb software products for genome and cancer analysis, we want you on our team!
- Design, modify, develop, write and implement software programming applications in Java.
- Support and/or install software applications/operations systems.
- Participate in the testing process through test review, test witnessing, and certification of software.
- Design unit, integrated, and subsystem test processes and procedures.
- Help improve test coverage, frameworks and productivity tools.
- Prepare detailed documentation regarding design requirements, coding, testing, and debugging of software applications.
- Help solve problems related to processing large amounts of data.
- Help build the distributed infrastructure using public and private cloud platform to enable aggregation, storage and computation of petabytes of genomic data.
- Work with Bioinformaticians and Biologists to create the most efficient and production-grade applications to build genomic analysis tools on top of the Roche Sequencing Solutions platform.
- Identify problems and generally select methods and techniques for obtaining solutions/results.
- Demonstrate ability to routinely learn and apply new technologies in an accelerated manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or a relevant technical discipline and a minimum of 2 years of directly related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience to perform at this level.
- Have knowledge on one or more of the following: database applications, graphics applications, real-time systems, numeric analysis, networks, modeling, simulations, system management, expert system, and system tests.
- Strong proficiency with Java for developing reliable, scalable, secure, and high-performing services.
- Experience working with both software development and software automation.
- Able to work within Linux OS and have experience working with Agile development methodologies.
- Knowledgeable with Java-based frameworks and run-time environments, skilled in integration working with REST, SOAP, Thrift, etc.
- Experience in web technologies, distributed systems, and high-performance cloud computing platforms such as AWS is a big plus.
- Able to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Demonstrate flexibility working with changing priorities.