The Innovation and Technology Transfer (ITT) Lead applies advanced theoretical knowledge and establishes new principles and concepts to help address strategic problems through individual contribution or leadership within the MSAT function. The successful candidate will be recognized as an authority in their field both within and outside Genentech. The ITT Lead will stay current with all leading edge technology in the biotechnology industry through internal network collaboration (i.e. PTI) and external networking with government and industry groups (i.e., BPOG and NIIMBL) and where appropriate, academia. The ITT Lead will also participate and present at domestic and international scientific meetings and stay current with new and emerging technologies through scientific literature review and partnering with companies developing innovative solutions for the biotechnology sector. The ITT lead will work closely with PTI for network/global initiatives in alignment with strategic planning. The ITT brings synergy between the Site Capital Governance Board and PTI for proper planning.
In addition to playing a key leadership role in the innovation space within the MSAT team and the OCN site, the ITT Lead will play a key leadership role in Technology Transfer, from both a strategic (in partnership with the network) and tactical (site focused) perspective. The successful candidate will have extensive Technology Transfer experience and ideally have demonstrated the ability to develop strategies to simplify and expedite Technology Transfer. Subject matter expertise in Upstream processing is required, with additional knowledge and expertise in downstream processing highly desirable.
This role will interface with key functional groups at the Genentech Oceanside (OCN) site, as well as within the Roche network. The successful candidate will be required to engage with key stakeholders and business leaders in a thought leadership capacity, driving innovation through all stages of idea development through to implementation. This role will also provide strategic innovation leadership in collaboration with various stakeholders within and outside of the Roche/Genentech network to enable PT’s technology aspirations. Some of the desired deliverables of the role will be to improve cost of goods, improve process specific manufacturing capabilities, increase analysis capabilities, decrease cycle times, and increase site engagement through the participation in the innovation process.
The role will enable OCN to work differently and embrace change in order to improve the site’s speed (both in delivery of product to patients as well as bringing new product to the site), reliability and agility while maintaining a culture of exceptional safety and quality. Success is dependent on being an effective change agent, fostering a culture of creativity, enabling strategic decision making, routine communications planning, and ability to influence and negotiate with leadership and functional management.
The ITT Lead will be part of the extended OCN Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) leadership team, which provides technical leadership, scientific and engineering expertise, and project delivery skills to enable the supply of high quality medicines to our patients. The team is dedicated to ensuring safe and efficient drug substance manufacturing processes for the production of multiple recombinant proteins, as part of our Demand to Supply (D2S) End-to-End (E2E) business process.
The ITT Lead will be responsible for:
● Developing an Innovation structure and business process workflow to enable innovation collaboration as well as guide mindsets and behavior.
● Developing business and benefit cases for innovation opportunities.
● Providing Technology Transfer (TT) leadership and helping to refine and codify the OCN TT business process.
● Mentoring and coaching more junior staff involved in Technology Transfer to ensure successfully deliver new products to the OCN site.
● Developing and providing oversight for metrics which support and drive innovation-related business objectives, mindsets and behaviors.
● Working collaboratively as part of a team to generate new ideas, establish priorities, set strategic direction, and execute changes to accelerate value-added innovation for OCN and in alignment with PT.
● Working in collaboration with the PT Innovation and Technology (PTI) group as the OCN steward and liaison (including validating site resource requirement for network project leads if applicable).
● Helping OCN to streamline decision making, work processes, and behaviors to drive innovation, leveraging Lean Production Systems and tools.
● Contribute to MSAT strategic vision and plan for executing on that vision while optimizing and gaining efficiencies.
● As an extended MSAT leadership team member, drive collaboration within the functions and across site/network activities, cross-functional planning, and decision making.
● Develop communications plan to effectively bridge network and site innovation.
● BS, MS, Ph.D (preferred) degree in life science, engineering, or equivalent.
● In-depth knowledge of biologics manufacturing operations and business processes.
● Demonstrated ability to drive for results, lead innovation, and be a change agent.
● Ability to effectively influence others across all levels of the organization.
● Strong collaboration and team building across cultures, technical competencies, and organization levels.
● 15 + years of biopharmaceutical manufacturing experience.
● Demonstrated success in leadership and organizational management in a science and technology team oriented environment.
● Relevant experience in business operations, portfolio management and project management.
● Strong understanding of large scale GMP commercial biologics manufacturing and technology transfers.
● Ability to organize and solve complex problems through the regular use of ingenuity and innovation.
● Highly organized individual, capable of translating technical concepts to enable business decisions.