Reporting to the Senior Director of gRED, the Principal Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) partners primarily with business leaders, generally at the VP/SVP levels. They will also provide support to Director job families and may occasionally support management (S) levels within Genentech Research and Early Development (gRED) in South San Francisco. This position will manage complex/matrix relationships, collaborating effectively across the business and HR networks. The Principal HRBP will be responsible for developing innovative solutions to a variety of unusually complex problems and initiatives. It is expected that they will exercise significant judgment in generating and selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results, and working on complex issues where analysis of situations or data require an in-depth evaluation of variable factors, including inter-organizational impact that support Genentech's business objectives.
- Strategic Business Partner to Client and Client Organization: Partner with executive business leaders in support of their overall client group(s) through developing solutions to a variety of unusually complex problems and initiatives exercising significant judgment in developing and selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results, and working on complex issues where analysis of situations or data require an in-depth evaluation of variable factors, including inter-organizational impact that support Genentech's business objectives. The PHRM is the initial point of contact for the majority of strategic HR support requests for their client and has responsibility for evaluating and ensuring effective risk management relative to the Officer organization's employee relations and human resource practices.
- Organization Effectiveness: The Principal HRBP will apply strong technical expertise (such as Organization Design, Workforce Planning, Diagnostics, Change Management), knowledge of the business and environment, and situation specific analysis developing new concepts, techniques, and standards (from concept to execution) in implementing strategy and solutions to address organizational and people-related challenges across the client groups.
- Partner with and Lead the HR Client Relationship Team: Influence and collaborate with HR colleagues to create, continuously evaluate and ensure strategic, consistent, business-focused Organization-wide Human Resources support aligned with business objectives, consistent with company values and culture and in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Act as initial point of contact to the Heads of the client organizations and other clients as necessary
- Partner/Collaborate with Centers of Expertise (COE: Compensation and Benefits, Staffing, Learning and Development and Diversity and Inclusion, Employee Relations, Legal) to ensure development of client-based products, tools and solutions
- Proactively disseminate business information to their Client Relationship Team (CRT) - Recommend solutions within their CRT to advance the business
- Identify client business needs and work with the CRT to broker services
- Develop annual integrated goals and plans to support client needs; drawing upon the expertise of their CRT
- Provide meaningful and timely feedback to COE partners
- Demonstrate ownership and accountability of decisions/recommendations made by CRT and/or COE when working with clients
- Understand responsibility is to the larger organization in "Genentech's Best Interest" vs. acting as management/employee advocate
- Report on progress of HR deliverables to CRT
This position is not eligible for relocation.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible HR and/or business experience with a minimum of 7 years of HR or related experience and exposure to and competence in HR functional areas
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience required
- Proven track record for consistently meeting or exceeding quantitative goals
- Bio-tech or pharmaceutical experience a plus
- Broad HR background is helpful, but not required if other capabilities are present. Broad HR Functional/Technical Knowledge and Expertise; High Level Project Management Skills; Excellent Consultation and Influencing Skills; Demonstrated Leadership Skills