Roche Diabetes Care has an opportunity for a Senior Design Research Lead to join our Global Strategic Insights & Open Innovation team in (TBD: Indianapolis or Barcelona). you will play a key role in accelerating Roche’s global and regional value creation & innovation process and you will be responsible for three domains of expertise:
- Insights Discovery & Customer Opportunity Development:
You will develop, plan and conduct qualitative research, more specifically you will discover contextual customer insights through various insights research methods such as exploratory and participatory research, evaluative research, co-creation, observational research methods, etc. and use analysis and synthesis methods to surface a deep and rich understanding of people’s experiences, behaviors, attitudes, needs and unmet needs that are the basis to inform important business decisions. You will then use quantitative research methods to validate insights quantitatively and thus e.g. identify need based segments that will be used to target for value creation. Furthermore, you will develop and validate contextual and visual content such as personas, archetypes, customer journeys, service blueprints, eco-system maps, user stories and so forth and use this information to build empathy among product and commercial teams. You will use the learnings to inform strategic business decisions such as for business strategy, product strategy, commercial strategy in addition to accelerate an insights driven, evidence based decision making process across the Roche End-to-End value creation process for new products, services and business models.
- Lean Experimentation, lean and agile research:
You will use lean experimentation principles and techniques to develop analogous and digital experiments where you will apply lean analytics expertise to accelerate evidence based decision making to inform product, business and commercial decisions.
- Sprint & Accelerator program:
You will be mentoring and coaching Roche sprint and accelerator teams leading them through the various phases of a design sprint or an accelerator. You will jump start the value creation process by planning and facilitating customer empathy & customer experience immersion workshops, Design Sprints, Commercial Targeting Workshops and Lean Innovation Sprints and Accelerators. You will work within global, cross-functional product development teams, strategy teams and commercial teams by applying domain expertise such as cognitive and behavioral psychology, design thinking, lean startup, UX design and research, lean experimentation, visual communication, etc. to surface insights about user needs and to inform the design and development of new value propositions.
Demonstrate excellence in design research, lean experimentation, acceleration
- Design research and lean experimentation methods and principles across lean startup, design thinking, qualitative and quantitative research, lean and agile methods, primary research, exploratory and participatory research, contextual inquiry, heuristic assessment, survey instruments, usability testing, and related techniques.
- Design & conduct evaluative research, e.g. to understand “solution-fit” through customer experiments to learn about potential value of solutions, such as new product/service concepts, new business models, messaging, positioning, etc. to inform evidence based decision making process.
- Design, co-create, validate and visualize customer journeys, service blueprints, eco-system maps, customer archetypes, customer personas, affinity maps, task analyses, work models, usability test reports, competitor benchmarks, use cases scenarios and storyboards.
- Train, coach and mentor
- Act as our global strategic insights leader for all user experience related questions. Acting as a user experience leader for others teams in the organization by creating opportunities for them to learn, apply and grow. Build an organization wide customer insights and customer empathy driven innovation culture.
- Lead internal and external design teams to incubate and prototype value propositions, service concepts, user experiences incl. new business models etc. Deliverables include sketches, workflows and User Interface (UI) designs, and interactive UI prototypes. Create low- through high-fidelity concepts and prototypes for rapid experimentation and testing to achieve need-solution fit and product-market fit.
- Plan, co-facilitate design sprints and lean innovation boot camps.
Who you are:
- An experienced design researcher with 6-10 years of relevant work experience
- An absolute professional who leads by example, treats peers and partners with respect, and seeks and gives constructive feedback
- A top-notch communicator, able to convey research insights and complex concepts to a wide diversity of audiences in simple, human terms
- Comfortable switching seamlessly between self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork
- Deeply curious and highly attuned to human behavior and emotion
- A lifelong learner, passionate about experimenting with new research methods and pushing your own craft in new ways
- Comfortable with traveling 30% of the time both domestic and internationally
- Master's degree in Design Research, Social Science, Behavioral Psychology, Interaction Design or a related field of study and a minimum of 6 years of progressive experience as a design researcher, UX researcher or similar
- Visual communication skills to develop and design customer journeys, personas, service blueprints, workshop material
- Qualitative research and quantitative research experience with focus on digital products and services
- Creative problem solving and design thinking
- Digital prototyping, service prototyping, business model prototyping, testing and validation
- Skilled at applying both design and research methods to data gathering, analysis and synthesis.
- Facilitation of insights immersion workshops, design sprints, analysis and synthesis workshops.
- Lean experimentation techniques for customer & business experiments
- Compelling storytelling: A critical element of this role is to deliver insights about people and behavior - verbally and visually - in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the client and design team.
- Track record of successfully conceptualizing and executing design research projects through a comprehensive user-centered design process that includes qualitative research, formative and summative testing, prototyping, heuristic assessment, application of research literature, and generation of design requirements.
- Strong communications (written and verbal), negotiation, and problem solving skills.
- Strong level of self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 30%, including overnight stays
- Ability to quickly switch gears and hats, being a master networker, entrepreneur, chief learning officer, adventurer, customer insights and methods geek
- Passion and dedication to improve the life of people with diabetes and their families and help professionals to provide the best possible treatment experience with superior health outcomes