Relocation is not designated for this position.
The Individual Contributor in Business Insights & Analytics (BI&A) is a strategic thought partner to key stakeholders and an integral contributor to Genentech’s operational planning efforts.
The specific role of the Operations Insights Analyst requires a mix of Patient & Investigator Insights, Competitive Intelligence, Data Analytics, capabilities. However, all Individual Contributors have the opportunity to blend and extend their expertise on different initiatives to further develop both the breadth and depth of their capabilities.
He/she is responsible for providing strategic operational insights with minimal
guidance / supervision, leveraging their capabilities the following areas of expertise:
- Patient Insights: In-depth knowledge of epidemiology, course of disease, patient journey and experience, existing treatment options and standard of care
- Investigator Insights: understanding of investigator landscape, needs and experience, prior engagement with Roche and industry, track record of success (including adherence to GCPs, overall quality, compliance and safety record, handling the data & record keeping, ethics reviews etc...)
- Competitive Intelligence: monitoring and tracking competitive landscape; conducting primary research, assessing threat level and determining implications for trial execution
- Data Analytics: designing and delivering advanced quantitative data analyses leveraging large/complex datasets
Work with Team Leads (TLs), Franchise Leads, Study Management & Country Leaders, Study Management Teams, LSPC stakeholders, Lifecycle Teams to understand business needs and priorities, as well as immediate scope of work Identify factors related to the occurrence of disease, including the distribution and determinants of health-related states or events in specified populations Articulate the course of a disease (i.e. the development of the disease in a patient) including the sequence and speed of the stages and forms they take Compose understanding of current, proven, and established treatment practices and standard therapies and practices at global, country, regional and local levels Translating patient needs and realities of living with disease in a way that allows for optimized patient engagement practices Build team understanding of investigator needs and experience including pain points and opportunities for streamlining investigator burden Identify various determinants that impact the investigator landscape, including opportunities and challenges teams may experience when making decisions Communicate which investigators have a continued track record of delivering successful trials and why. Alternatively, convey those investigators who do not meet the criteria and standards of success. Understand competitive clinical trial activities and site footprint through primary and secondary research Provide an objective operational viewpoint on trial implications based on in-depth understanding and analysis of commercial, clinical, and scientific competitive information Lead competitive threat assessments to develop rigorous team assumptions about key competitors; provide situational analysis support for quarterly business reviews, early clinical trial planning, shifts in studies, etc. Provide technical/analytical expertise to team through secondary data analytics Apply analytical and statistical methods to answer a variety of business questions using multiple data sources and technical tools Monitor and assess the effectiveness of enrollment and engagement efforts, projects, and practices and identify opportunities to optimize value of investments Collaborate within cross-functional teams to develop solutions, gain alignment and deliver impactful business insights; engage necessary stakeholders to enable better decision-making Openly share perspective and insights to elevate team thinking and drive a balanced, holistic point of view; effectively weigh and communicate trade-off considerations Take an enterprise and One PDG mindset, linking individual responsibilities with broader organization; focus on outcomes that provide most business value Demonstrate self-accountability and integrity Demonstrate strategic agility and an ability to engage stakeholders to understand and diagnose business problems and recommend appropriate courses of action Look for opportunities for continuous improvement; engage managers and peer group regularly for coaching, assistance, and advocacy Stay current with and adopt emergent relevant methodologies, tools and applications to ensure fit-for-purpose and impactful approaches. Act as a thought partner and advisor to all relevant teams and stakeholders; look for and establish opportunities for peer mentorship Actively participate in cross functional communities, networks and/or knowledge-sharing bodies that enable broader and more effective use of insights and/or analytics that drive and support decisions Acquire, aggregate and/or curate data and information
WHO YOU ARE
In Individual Contributors, we are looking for people who are nimble, curious, able to effectively collaborate and lend expertise to multi-functional teams and adapt quickly to competing priorities within their Disease Area. We are also looking for people who are committed to continuing to make Genentech a great place to work, by seeking opportunities to develop their own and others’ expertise through ongoing mentorship and coaching.
- "Self-starter"; strong sense of responsibility with demonstrable comfort in an entrepreneurial environment
- Able to work effectively in a fluid, cross-functional, global matrixed environment and stand out as a successful collaborator
- Strong interpersonal skills and a consultative mindset, with the ability to develop strong partnerships
- Good problem-solving ability, breaking down complex problems into distinct parts, managing uncertainty, understanding, anticipating interdependencies
- Able to proactively “connect the dots” by asking thought-provoking questions
- Objective when presenting insights and guiding decision-making; demonstrate good presentation skills by pairing sound analytics with storytelling
- Motivated to continuously improve performance; outcomes-focused and driven to achieve objectives
- Able to lean in and manage through change
- Bachelor’s Degree (Business, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, or Physical Sciences or related field is a plus); MBA or Graduate-level Degree is preferred
- 7+ years of work experience with Bachelors; 5+ year of work experience with Masters; 4+ years of work experience with PhD/JD, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry (commercial or clinical) and/or management consulting
- Deep expertise in at least one of the following areas: Patient Insights, Investigator Insights, Forecasting, Competitive Intelligence, Data Analytics, Advanced Data Analytics, Resourcing, Information Visualization and/or Data Science
- Understanding of disease mechanisms, treatment patterns and stakeholder participation in clinical research
- Strong understanding of the latest developments in the biopharmaceutical industry, unmet medical needs and opportunities in the assigned therapeutic area
- Broad, working knowledge of commonly used biopharmaceutical industry databases
- Understands the advantages and limits of different analytical approaches
- Considerable experience applying exploratory & confirmatory data analysis techniques that inform business decisions
- Awareness of scripting, statistical & programming languages and analytical tools a plus (i.e. Python, Metlab, R, SAS, Google/Adobe analytics, SQL)
- Experience acting as a strategic thought partner to teams; Entrepreneurial mindset, to transform the way we use data and analytics to enable decisions and hasten our delivery of medicines for our patients
- Track record of effectively working in a matrix environment with international team members coming from scientific, business and operational backgrounds, using influence without authority
- Expertise in standard analysis and presentation software (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to merge together data sets from disparate sources and report findings in a variety of formats and mediums
- Persuasive written and verbal communication skills, easily communicating complex ideas.
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience managing outside vendors preferred
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Business Development, Business Development > Strategic Business Development