Clinical development is rapidly intersecting with technologies that have classically been the domain of high-tech. These technologies can be transformative for clinical trials, but identifying appropriate solutions demand careful analysis and experimentation that often goes considerably beyond existing practices.
In this intern role, you will be supporting the Applied Innovation team, which is a sub-group in Genentech’s Early Clinical Development (ECD). You may be required to help with identification and practical implementation of technology and methods, and also maintaining a finger on the pulse of this rapidly changing tech landscape.
You will gain hands-on experience in the day-to-day activities within ECD, while also obtaining a high-level understanding of the execution of clinical trials needed to bring drugs to patients. You will be given specific tasks to support teams and functional roles within the department. You will also have an opportunity to shadow and follow individuals from the department to get exposure to a range of cross-functional disciplines (ECD’s Clinical Operations, Clinical Science, and Quality) and across multiple therapeutic areas including oncology, immunology, neuroscience, metabolism, infectious disease, and others. Example areas of focus include data-driven patient recruitment, automating the movement of trial content and data, and leveraging real-world data to optimize protocols.
You may be required to do the following tasks:
- Research specific topics and provide a summary of the research
- Interview and interact with internal and external key stakeholders
- Contribute to opportunity identification, proposals, proofs of concept, and assessments
- Support business development transactional strategies
- Contribute to deal term structures in development of future partnerships
- Prioritize workloads and ensure deadlines are met
- Develop meeting agendas and minutes; follow up, track and drive completion of action items and record and archive decisions
- Develop a poster of your learning and present in one of the ECD forums
Assignment of tasks may change based on the interests of the intern.
Work Hours: 40 hours per week
Start Date: Summer 2018
Location: South San Francisco Campus
Length of assignment: 3-6 months, with potential to extend