About the Business Perspectives Program
Program Goals and Scope
Business Perspectives was designed to hire great talent at an early stage in their career, and accelerate their development across geographies & functions, enabling them to be a key contributor to our company’s purpose, and above all a differentiator to patients lives.
Hungry to learn and prepared to work hard, we have a genuine interest in your career path & aspirations. As you display the right mindset & behaviors, we want you to reach your full potential by taking on stretched assignments, participating in pilot projects & doing on-the-job shadowing.
Innovation is at the core of our culture; it is not just the sum of great technology, key acquisitions, smart people and tough decision making. Our company’s corporate culture matches and supports it. Our continued success depends on our ability to replenish our pharma and diagnostics pipeline through further innovation breakthroughs.
The Business Perspectives Program does exactly that: create an environment in which potential & diversity of thinking is leveraged to shape the future of Roche, the future of Healthcare.
Our pharma division is focused on translating excellence in science into effective medicines that support our purpose of “doing now what patients need next.” We combine our broad-based portfolio and industry leading pipeline with global scale and reach in clinical development, manufacturing and commercial operations in order to be one of the world’s leading providers of clinically differentiated medicines.
In Pharma we believe that scientific invention leads to products that truly save and improve patients’ lives. Our strategy is rooted in following the science to create medical breakthroughs that will make a difference for our patients, customers and the healthcare community both today and tomorrow.
We are the world leader in cancer treatments and our focus is on developing therapeutics for unmet medical need in the areas of oncology, immunology, ophthalmology, infectious diseases and neuroscience.
Healthcare is undergoing a paradigm shift. As people live longer, grow older and face serious illness – such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes – there are new challenges for both patients and caregivers.
Through providing the right information, Diagnostics enable healthcare professionals to work more knowledgeably so that they can make better treatment decisions. Driving this change are the new biomarkers and testing technologies, which give laboratories an expanded role in delivering improved patient outcomes.
Roche, as global leader in diagnostics, is pioneering this shift in the healthcare landscape. Through our unrivalled investment in research and development; our novel and medically differentiated assays; our integrated systems; connected workflows and technologies, we are transforming laboratory practice now and forever. As we continue to innovate across the patient care pathway, we are pursuing our vision of making data available anytime and anywhere and delivering real value to healthcare systems.
The result is better, healthier lives for patients, and healthcare systems poised for the long term.
That is the power – the power of knowing.
Personalised Healthcare means fitting treatments to different groups of patient. It’s the core of our Group Strategy. For some diseases, our diagnostic tests can identify those patients most likely to respond to a specific treatment – that means physicians are better able to decide whom, how and when to treat their patients.
Increasingly, tests can also identify patients at risk of side effects from specific drug interventions, which further helps physicians by identifying safer and more efficient treatment alternatives.
Diagnostics play a key role in developing targeted medicines and combining drugs with specific diagnostics tests that assess whether a patient is likely to respond to treatment.
All our new compounds are developed in conjunction with a diagnostics program.
- Duration: 4 six-month rotations across different countries and functions, during a 2-year time period. If a sales rotation is part of the journey, participants may do a total of 3 rotations as sales rotations tend to be 12 months.
- Assignments and Locations: Program participants take ownership of their rotations with support from executive-level mentors and the Business Perspectives Program Manager. Ideally they gain experience in global, regional and affiliate roles. Rotation functions vary depending on interest, business need and the participants’ aspired career path. They can include roles in Product Strategy/Marketing, Sales, Market Access, Personalized Healthcare 2.0, Diagnostics Information Solutions, Business Development etc. Rotation locations have included Algeria, Brazil, China, Dubai, India, Kenya, Philippines, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Japan, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Ireland, Norway, Russia, France, Germany, Italy. Roche operates across 100 countries and Business Perspectives participants are expected to stretch themselves outside of their cultural comfort zones.
- Leadership Development: Business Perspectives provides participants with a global leadership development program aimed at establishing a broader understanding of the business, build intercultural awareness, experience leadership fundamentals in action, and accelerate their development in order to prepare themselves to potentially move into a critical role. There is a mix of facilitator-led training and simulations, which helps participants to immediately apply what they have learnt. A 360 review conducted prior to the program as well as feedback from fellow participants and facilitators will help participants to gain some insights into their strengths and areas for development as a Leader. The leadership development program also offers a great opportunity to network with other participants and Leaders from around the globe. Apart from formal training, there are multiple peer coaching opportunities and senior leadership mentoring.
- Eligibility Criteria:
- Excellent academic profile: Degree in business, science, or data science and a postgraduate degree (MBA, PhD, MD, MEng, MSc etc). Ideally post-graduate degree and an MBA.
- 3-5 years of working experience in the following industries: Pharma, Diagnostics, Biotech, Med Tech, Information Technology (healthcare oriented preferred) or Consulting to Healthcare. Exposure to either commercial roles, or projects related to innovation in digital or advanced analytics technologies for the healthcare industry.
- Worked or studied in more than one country, preferably in a developing region (i.e. Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East, Africa or Eastern Europe).
- Fluent/Bilingual in English, and a second language. Any other language is an asset.
- Global mobility throughout the 2 year rotational program, and afterwards.
- Strong strategic & entrepreneurial mindset, with the ability to think analytically and innovatively.
- Courageous, creative and inspired by change with the capacity to think out of the box when the situation requires flexibility and speed.
- Agile learner with strong leadership potential.
You bring a passion for healthcare/science and demonstrate the Roche Values: integrity, courage and passion, and the Roche Leadership Commitments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where have Perspectives graduates gone after the program?
Post Program, you are fully empowered to assess opportunities and decide on your future career with Roche. Journeys of Business Perspectives Alumni have taken them to places that truly span the globe; Basel, Russia, China, Norway, San Francisco, United Kingdom,.. You name it. Among our graduates, depending on seniority, we have Country/Regional/Global Commercial Strategists, Managers and Leaders.
How will I develop during the Perspectives program?
The experiences of delivering on substantial projects in a variety of business functions and cultural contexts are the primary source of development in Business Perspectives. But we supplement these experiences with a dedicated senior leader mentor, annual leadership training with expert providers, and regular peer feedback (a program buddy) and sharing across the Business Perspectives network. As such, this Program provides an incredibly rich learning experience.
How are rotations determined in Perspectives?
Participants themselves play the most critical role in identifying projects for Perspectives rotations. They identify the location and function that they’d like to target, and then work with the Program Manager and their mentor for feedback and potential leads. In an overwhelming number of cases, they are able to find a project that fits both their geographic and functional areas of interest.
What kind of exposure will I have to senior leadership at Roche?
Business Perspectives is highly regarded by the senior leadership at Roche. We hold quarterly “Fireside Chats” for the Perspectives community that have included Severin Schwan (our CEO), Thomas Schinecker (CEO Roche Diagnostics) and many other senior leaders across the business.
How many positions do you have in Business Perspectives?
We have about 12 people in the Program at a time, which means we hire about 6 per year.
What is the recruiting process & how can I set myself up for success?
The next recruitment cycle will start in Q3 (September 1, 2019) and will end in Q4 (December 2019)... f successful, you will be invited to Basel for an assessment consisting of various challenges, which will take place beginning of December 2019 in Basel, Switzerland.
If I am selected, when can I start with the Program?
If you are selected, you will receive your Roche contract latest by January 2020 and you start your first rotation in Q2-Q3 2020 (April - the latest starting date is September 2020).
What is the duration of the Business Perspectives Program contract?
Roche Business Perspectives offers a 2-year temporary contract. Toward the end of the program, you will receive full support with finding your post-program role. You have the freedom to choose your post-program position, by applying to any position in the function and the location based on your goals and interests.