The Therapeutic Modalities (TMo) function is part of the Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) organization. TMo discovers and optimizes innovative drug candidates including small molecules, biologics and nucleic acid-based therapeutics in order to deliver novel therapeutic approaches across all pRED Discovery and Translational areas (DTAs).
As part of TMo, the Chemical Biology (CB) department focuses on building pRED’s preclinical pipeline by providing high-throughput screening, advanced cellular and biochemical assays, protein expression and purification, computer-aided drug discovery (CADD), structural biology, biophysics and enzymology.
Our two teams, Mechanistic Enzymology and Cellular Enzymology, work in close collaboration with teams across CB, Medicinal Chemistry and DTAs to ensure dedicated input from target assessment through lead optimization. The focus is on development of relevant assays for lead identification and optimization including mode of action and hit qualification studies.
For the Mechanistic Enzymology team we seek a talented and enthusiastic (senior) associate. In this position your responsibilities include:
- Establishing and carrying out biochemical activity assays to measure enzyme kinetics in order to elucidate enzyme-catalyzed reaction mechanisms and to evaluate the potency and mode of action of enzyme modifiers
- Collecting, processing and interpreting enzyme kinetics data including curve fitting, determination of kinetic parameters as well as archiving and communicating the results relevant for drug discovery to project team members
- Apply complementary biophysical methods to optimize assay conditions and characterize enzymes as drug targets
- Establishing methods for the enzyme-catalyzed modification of RNA and characterization of locked nucleic acids (LNA) as drug modality
- Maintaining instruments and laboratory environment according to Roche Safety, Healthcare & Environment standards