ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & MAJOR CONTRIBUTIONS
1. Directs the planning of technology assessment projects on specific topics that are of current or strategic
importance to respective BA and/or diagnostics division. Conducts technology search and trend analyses.
Executes technology strategy through respective BA contacts. Oversees internal technology project
selection and direction.
2. Understands customer needs and market situation to ensure technology opportunity is in line with BA's
strategic focus. Provides unbiased opinion and/or periodical updates on new technologies, industry trends
and market intelligence information to corresponding teams to support their strategic planning.
3. Leads matrix project teams selected from corresponding scientific and business development groups.
Makes clear recommendations and lays out action plans. Compiles final reports and present results to R&D
and business development planning teams.
4. Builds and maintains an external network of contacts to government agencies, national advisory boards,
key scientists and customers (universities and start-up companies, hospitals, and professional associations)
in relevant fields to better identify technology/product innovations that have high value to Roche
Diagnostics. Attends conferences and symposiums of key professional organizations.
5. Serves as the primary contact for external innovation across all functions within Roche Diagnostics.
Interacts across the BA and Divisional functions on a regular basis.
6. Identifies and qualifies new technology opportunities that will contribute to the growth of the overall
business and to the advancement of medicine and patient care. Coordinates technology assessments with
business area assessment project teams. Ensures that results of assessments (recommendations, action
plans, company contact, etc.) are readily communicated and implemented.
7. Manages technology assessments with business area assessment project teams. Oversees that results of
assessments (recommendations, action plans, company contact, etc.) are readily communicated and
8. Oversees feasibility projects conducted at external sites and ensures that BA interests are addressed in
9. Prepares report to BA/divisional executives on current technology landscape, and make recommendations
for acquisitions and licensing.
10. Works closely with divisional M&A and corporate venture group to recommend opportunities and
participate in technical Due Diligence projects.
11. Recognized as an expert within the organization to lead technology assessment and trend information
leading to clear recommendations to respective BA’s for value creation.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Minimum (required): BS in life sciences (preferably biochemistry or physics)
Preferred: PhD in life sciences (preferably in Cell Biology, Oncology, Biochemistry, Pathology and Immunology) or
Minimum (required): Typically, 10+ years of experience in biotech, diagnostics, pharmaceutical or related medical industry (experience/knowledge in current biomarker discovery and development will be crucial).
Travel Requirement: Approximately 50% of time