Portfolio and Program Management (PPM) is an integral part of Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) and the centre of excellence for Portfolio and Program Management skills and knowledge applied to the development of molecules from Entry into Portfolio up to the end of the pivotal-enabling study.
All across Roche - including in pRED - transformation efforts are making us more agile,increasingly networked, and better equipped to deal with the challenges and opportunities of an ever complex world. Roche’s bold 10-year ambitions call on us to accelerate those efforts. Earlier this year, our CEO Severin Schwan said: “There is no chance to achieve the ambitions without transforming as an organization and individually.”
To fully play our part in ensuring pRED delivers on the 10-year ambitions, we in PPM are evolving into a more customer-centric and outcome-focused organization, ensuring that the PPM operating model and activities are fully aligned with our North Star (Creativity, Coaching and Strategy underpinned by data analytics), support the overarching organizational goals, maximising quality decision making and reflect our new ways of working.
Since the formation of the PPM Group in 2019, we have been undergoing a gradual transformation towards our North Star, with the intent of increasing our value and impact to the wider organisation. The changes that are being implemented are intended to even further embrace the concept of VACC leadership, empowered individuals/teams and a flatter organisation.
We have reached the next stage on our journey to the PPM North Star. In order to be successful in our mission to provide Portfolio and Program Management services to pRED, our team needs to evolve further in line with the changing internal (pRED and Roche) and external environments, to embrace more New Ways of Working, increase productivity and remove barriers to execution to achieve the pRED BHAGs, the Pharma and Roche Ambitions. This flatter hierarchy results in the need for upskilling and people development in the future, as this was previously the responsibility of the head of the department and 2 Group Leaders.
Are you an enabler of change? Are you skilled in coaching people as they adapt to organizational and systems changes? You will coach and develop the PPM department members. You will also accompany the change required to harmonize & streamline the end-to-end business process backbone of PPM. This Lead role will partner to co-create, deliver & continually enhance the PPM offering. You will integrate the PPM change agenda with other transformation / change efforts to build upon and enhance the overall impact of all.
This Lead role reports to the Head of Portfolio and Program Management and will be a member of the PPM department. This is a highly creative and impactful individual contributor role, and the incumbent is expected to focus on continuous improvement in the value we add to Roche. They are specifically responsible for leading the design and operationalisation of the PPM Academy, which aims to continuously develop new capabilities and skills for the PPM organisation so the department achieves their North Star. In this role, you will work closely together with the other 5 Lead roles in PPM to ensure smooth operations across the entire system. You will also co-define and refine mechanisms for team marketplace and talent matching.
You have skill in people development: acting as Coach, Motivator, and Career & Development partner and, will enhance the network by catalysing a Vision and Architecture that expands and enhances the PPM offering.
● Responsible for guiding the PPM organisation to deliver our North Star of coaching and
creativity by championing the pRED transformation, demeanour and culture.
● Working with PPM individuals and teams, acting as a thought-partner and coach to
facilitate problem solving, collaboration and knowledge sharing across the organisation to
remove silos and duplication. You will coach individuals in PPM to operationalize the Next
Ways of Working and new organisational model.
● Leading the design, development, and implementation of strategies and tactical change
& engagement plans; including stakeholder assessment, leadership alignment,
organization transition, change readiness, capability build and/or transfer, and training.
Collaborating closely with other One Roche coaching networks to continue to develop
and maximise best practices in leadership development and NWoW
● Ensuring the organizational readiness as defined by organizational goals and objectives
by acting as a change agent, role-modeling and embedding next ways of working at both
the individual and team levels.
● Taking an end to end role in organizational readiness (e.g. change impact analysis, role
● Assessing training needs, leading the development of training plans, and coordinating
with internal and external partners on the development and delivery of training programs
● Co-running impact retrospectives & learning and sharing initiatives in close collaboration
with the Value Creation Lead.
● Scouts for and brings on board novel concepts / ways of working that improve our ability
to pursue the PPM strategy
● Supporting the identification and selection of future talent for PPM
We are looking for a servant leader with modesty, curiosity, and responsibility to:
● Cultivate and reward curiosity and thoughtful fit-for-purpose risk-taking
● Promote one Roche thinking and joint working
● Coach people to promote and fuel their potential
● Promote diversity, inclusion, and empowerment
● Partner with other Lead roles to ensure the success of the results including development
and execution of capability strategies.
The ideal candidate will have a background of extensive experience in coaching and capabilities building to be a member of a department bringing life-saving therapeutics to patients.
Successful candidates will have:
● Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Organizational Development, Human Performance
Technology, Organizational Communications, Adult Education, International
Development, or related field highly preferred or Bachelors with appropriate project
● Change management certification preferred
● 10+ years of related experience in organisational change program design and
● Demonstrates Roche Values and Leadership Commitments
● Proven skill in role-modeling of VACC (forward-thinking, architect, coach and motivator)
leadership, with shown ability to lead with a creative approach, self-aware and for acting
as a coach and mentor for other leaders
● Successful experience working in a multicultural environment and building strong
● Shown ability to influence and develop broad synergetic relationships with ability to
engage resources outside of direct-control to gain consensus, meet deadlines and
achieve goals and objectives
● Proactive self-starter; effective in both team settings and as an individual contributor and
ability to handle multiple assignments and tasks independently/with minimal supervision
● Leads change by example, sees all aspects of the challenge; stays resilient. Has a
“can-do” spirit & engages networks to get stuff done
● Appreciates & develops a culture that demonstrates diversity and unique perspectives
● Challenges the organization to be curious, questions the status quo & adopts new ways
● Flexible and adaptable; able to work in ambiguous situations
● Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal (English, German a plus)
● Problem solving and root cause identification skills
● Strong meeting and workshop facilitation skills
● Business Acuity, entrepreneurial spirit and drive (result oriented), as well as exponential
Reports into Head of PPM / No direct reports
Location: F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. Basel, Switzerland
If this description resonates with you and you want to shape your future with us: we are looking forward to receiving your application!
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a department that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more
inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
Roche commits to recognizing talent and aptitude. We prioritize encouraging and supporting our employees in their personal journeys by providing a safe, creative space to help them reflect, make decisions and grow in their careers. We are confident that we find the most innovative solutions by gaining different perspectives, asking and answering hard questions, and challenging the status quo. Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious yet enthusiastic way; we are devoted to building a department that represents a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Job Level:Individual contributor