Responsible for initiating, directing and executing scientific research and development strategies to support new and existing products. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems. Plans and executes laboratory and user research. Leverages customer-centricity to navigate the front-end of the R&D process. Works collaboratively with commercial, marketing, medical, external companies, and customers. Contributes to problem discover and validation for customers, physicians, and patients. Develops key driver requirements, solution concepts, testing plans, and delivers early proof of concept. Partners with business stakeholders and external organizations to perform primary user research, translating this into early applications and assay technologies. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories. Makes contributions to scientific literature and conferences. Serves as an in-house and outside consultant. May act as a spokesperson for corporate scientific affairs and advise top management. Participates in development of patent applications. Promotes and participates in the professional development of scientists and best practices. Uses professional concepts to contribute to the development of product or process principles and to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways.
- Conceives, designs, conducts and leads advanced independent or multi-disciplinary research driven by strategic business needs in technology, assay, process, product, method or system integration discovery/development.
- Project goals are broadly defined; defines project milestones; responsible for timely project completion.
- Makes major contributions to strategic directions and projects through knowledge of customers & patient journeys, technology and its creative applications.
- Lead in efforts to define new products, and resolve technical challenges in the Discovery phase.
- Drives activities for publication, patent potential, and deployment of early solution concepts to customers.
- Conceives, plans, and executes projects related to the strategic needs of the company.
- Designs and executes experiments to test hypothesis related project outcomes; extracts the full relevance of scientific observations.
- Applies advanced scientific knowledge to multi-disciplinary projects.
- Assures experimental quality through sound experimental design; utilizes DOE; assists in the design of experiments for others.
- Participates on or leads cross functional teams
- Develops and maintains internal and external contacts to maintain technical knowledge.
Bachelor's degree in Science REQUIRED
Master's Degree in Science OR PhD preferred
If degree is in a non-scientific field, Executive Committee approval is required.
12 years of related experience with a Bachelors, 8 years with a Masters and 5 years with a PhD.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought
- Demonstrates success in collaborating with KOLs, customers, or startups in problem identification and/or co-creation of early solution concepts
- Expert knowledge and application of scientific principles and concepts.
- Expert knowledge and operation of more than one relevant diagnostic technology, e.g. NGS, IHC, PCR/qPCR, Serum workflow, mass spectrometry, etc.
- Experience working within design thinking or lean startup frameworks
- Ability to quickly learn and operationalize orthologous technologies in the diagnostic space
- Reputation as emerging leader in field through performance and accomplishments.
- Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents; writes independently; evaluates the writing of others.