This is an individual contributor position located in Basel, Denmark, the UK as well as coast-coast US.
Global Product Strategy provides strategic business direction from research through development, commercialization, collaborating with functions and affiliates to shape the future of medicine.
GLIDE provides high quality insights on the market environment for relevant disease areas based on publicly available brand and market information, non-publicly available market intelligence, and market research.
Competitive Intelligence (CI) is a team of strategists with diverse backgrounds within GLIDE that synthesizes medical, scientific, and commercial information from the external environment to drive decision-making for the Roche/Genentech portfolio. As a Competitive Intelligence Manager (CIM) you will act as a strategic business partner to Research and Early Development (RED) teams including Project Team Leaders (PTLs), Disease Area Directors (DADs), Product and Portfolio Planning, Partnering, Disease Area Teams (DATs), Product Development, and other cross functional teams.
You will provide objective competitive assessments and analyses to enable effective and informed decision-making. This includes insights on dynamic market changes and competition that impact business decisions and strategy.
In this position, with minimal guidance from more senior members of the team, you will be primarily accountable for consistently and effectively:
Being an expert in leading key competitor monitoring and analysis
- Ability to identify shifting standards of care, emerging development trends, and potential opportunities for future development for our molecules
- Recognition of emergent agents, MoAs, platforms, and modalities to identify threats and opportunities
- Ability to accurately forecast competitor launch timelines and probabilities, identify critical competitors and data
Lead or influence key internal development and commercialization decisions
- Drive translation of competitive findings into business recommendations that deliver success for the organization
- Data expert to assure that impactful, actionable competitor information and Roche product differentiation is identified and taken into account during key decisions via strategic workshops or other venues
- Identify opportunities to improve high-level pharma portfolio strategy or Roche organization structure and decision-making by drawing on case examples or other information from the external environment
Actively identifying CI information, data collection, and insight communication to varied stakeholders
- Based on knowledge of impending strategic decisions, identify available data sources, collect competitive intelligence, and synthesize information for commercial, medical, and scientific leaders
- Manage external vendor relationships for collection and structuring of CI data including planning and execution of CI at medical/scientific conferences
- Comply with all laws, regulations and policies that govern the ethical conduct of Roche activities
Collaborating with many other functions
- Ensure cross functional stakeholder alignment within the Therapeutic Area / Business Franchise in support of CI initiatives and deliverables and ensure alignment with broader GLIDE
- Partnering across GPS, Medical, Product Development, REDs, Partnering, and other functions
Supporting CI team growth
- Identification and execution of ways to improve the work processes of CI and grow the group’s impact within the organization
Qualifications - Internal
- Bachelor’s Degree (life sciences or related discipline is a plus); MBA, MD, or PhD in a life sciences, technical, or analytical discipline is preferred
- Complex strategic project leadership experience in a matrixed environment--specific examples of influence in strategy decisions will be required
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
- Prior experience in CI preferred
It is also preferred that the candidate has at least 1 of the following qualifications:
- 2 or more years of corporate strategy, financial/investment analysis, venture capital, management consulting, or strategic planning experience in the biopharma industry
- Experience with projects leading biopharma teams through complex strategic decisions by synthesizing and incorporating competitor information
- Other deep experience pharmaceutical product discovery, development, or commercialization