The Chief of Staff contributes to the success of ECD by leading and advising on strategic planning activities and driving business management and operations activities that support the SVP of Early Clinical Development (ECD) and the ECD Leadership Team (ECD LT).
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Be a thought-partner and trusted advisor to the SVP of ECD on business, organizational, and operational strategies and solutions
- Organize and prioritize critical issues and required information for the SVP of ECD to facilitate efficient decision making
- Partner with the SVP of ECD and ECD LT in strategic planning, policy development and decision-making
- Partner with the ECD Communications manager to shape messaging and implement communications for the ECD organization on behalf of the SVP of ECD and ECD LT
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the SVP of ECD and their leadership team for both internal and external stakeholders
- Drive and execute complex and cross functional initiatives in a timely manner on behalf of the SVP of ECD
ECD Leadership Team (ECD LT) Management:
- Act as the liaison between the SVP of ECD and ECD LT members to ensure consistent communication, involvement and decision-making at the proper time
- Manage ECD LT meetings, including preparing agendas, ensuring materials are sent in advance, time is well spent and objectives are achieved. Provide guidance on meeting agendas for broader leadership meetings led by the SVP of ECD.
- Maintain accurate confidential files and data records
- Lead the planning of ECD LT offsites and events
- Manages 4-5 business managers in the organization to drive cross-functional initiatives and support the various leadership teams across ECD..
- Partners closely with Business Operations to ensure seamless execution & aligned strategies.
Successful factors for the Chief of Staff role include the ability to:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the SVP of ECD, their leadership team, and others in the organization in order to advise and influence outcomes
- Assist and communicate with executives in decision-making, program management, and initiative implementation
- Understand the strategic, big picture priorities while managing the detailed execution of deliverables
- Navigate ambiguous situations to unearth and address core issues or challenges
- Independently lead and drive cross-functional initiatives, projects or programs
- Develop new approaches to address complex organizational challenges that impact ECD and beyond
- Facilitate resolution of issues relating to projects, priorities and team dynamics
- Demonstrate creativity, independence, and initiative in resolving issues
- University degree in sciences or engineering is required. Advanced degree or equivalent is desired.
- 10+ years in drug development, life sciences, and/or healthcare industry
- Proven track to effectively partner with executive leaders in scientific/technical organizations
- Proven experience in business operations and/or project management for complex projects at scale
- Highly skilled in strategic thinking, planning, and execution
- Excellent written and verbal executive communication skills
- Exceptional influencing skills: consistent and proven track record of helping internal partners/stakeholders address strategic opportunities and solve problems; strong facilitation skills
- Demonstrate the ability to be effective in dealing with ambiguities; fast and effective problem solving
- Experience in leading organizations and people through significant change and prioritization
- Proven track record in all elements of people leadership - attraction, hiring, onboarding, development planning, performance management, coaching, rewarding, recognizing achievements, investing in the right people for the future leadership pipeline
- Strong ability to communicate and influence across global, regional and local cultures and business
- Ability to retain focus on long term goals while addressing high switching frequency for short term actions
- Knowledge of Genentech or Roche culture, systems and organization is a plus