At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives, and we are fearless in both making decisions and taking action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigor, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
The Lead Discovery Department in Small Molecule Research is part of Therapeutic Modalities (TMo) within Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED). We deliver leading edge science to drive the success of Roche’s early pipeline discovery research activities through a strong expertise in high throughput or focused screening platforms, DNA encoded library technology, protein science & enzymology/biophysics, cell-based assays and screening and biostructure determination. We are accountable for the provision of high quality chemistry starting points for Small Molecule projects and generating molecular and mechanistic insights that are critical for the advancement of discovery projects.
During the internship, you will:
- Actively contribute to an early-stage drug discovery research project by performing protein purifications
- Optimize protein sample quality for cryo-EM structure determination
- Learn a broad spectrum of methods to characterize the stability and enzymatic activity of proteins, and analyze interactions with small-molecule ligands
- Get hands-on experience on laboratory automation and robotics
- Plan experiments and present your findings in group seminars
- Learn about the function of a research department in the pharmaceutical industry
Who you are:
You are someone who wants to influence your own development, and you seek for work experience in a company that will give you the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions within a dynamic research environment. As an enthusiastic and proactive Master student in the area of biochemistry or related fields with prior experimental know-how in protein purification and characterization, you are highly motivated, interested in a multidisciplinary and multinational environment and you wish to expand your technical skills in the laboratory.
We are looking for an aspiring scientist with:
- Good knowledge and technical experience in molecular biology (cloning, construct design, protein expression strategies)
- Technical experience in protein purification and analytical methods such as affinity or size exclusion chromatography and SDS-PAGE.
- Structure determination experience and general education in protein structure are a plus
- Excellent organizational skills and a pro-active attitude
- Motivated and focused, able to multitask, and meets timelines efficiently and productively
- Fluent in English (German is a plus)
- Master of Science student (M.Sc.) with proof of academic excellence and currently enrolled in a University or recently graduated (not longer than 12 month ago) with the goal to pursue a career in the Life Sciences field
The Internship can start between April and May 2021 - please clearly indicate your preferred starting date in your motivation letter. Applications must include a CV, motivation letter and certificate of enrollment in one merged PDF document.
Due to regulations non-EU/EFTA citizens must provide a certificate from the university stating that an internship is mandatory (“recommended” is not sufficient) as part of the application documents.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to building a team that represents a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you still have questions, then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq
Tags: ROiQQ ROiBY ROiBT ROiMB