Applies knowledge and skills to complete a wide range of difficult tasks. Acts independently with management; determine methods and procedures on new assignments. Directs the activities or projects of the department staff. In conjunction with management evaluates, initiates, and executes policies, procedures, programs, as assigned to ensure compliance with environmental regulatory requirements as well as company directives/standards, sustainability initiatives and Corporate SHE Site Goals. May represent the company with respect to divisional goals and company standards.
Oversees the day-to-day operations for assigned work group or team. Provides feedback to management on employees' work performance and has input into employment decisions. Responsible for managing to a prescribed budget, training and development of staff, resource management, work assignments, interprets and ensures consistent application of organizational policies.
Position will function as a Safety, Health & Environmental (SHE) Business Partner for assigned functional areas (e.g. Manufacturing, Facilities, R&D, Supply Chain, etc.). In addition, will fulfill site-wide responsibilities for specific program area ownership.
- Manages various SHE programs to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory and company requirements, utilizing industry best practices to identify and manage risk.
- Acts as a key resource for change management implementation needs [e.g. new buildings, remodels, new equipment, chemicals, capital projects, etc.] related to hazard identification, determining necessary risk assessment programs/processes, and implementation of such programs/processes.
- Interprets regulations and Roche requirements, goals and guidance; to determine current and potential impacts to company business operations, external customers, and to internal SHE programs.
- Facilitates across multiple business functions and/or business units; in order to help management establish objectives and plan SHE compliance and sustainability programs to achieve objectives.
- Leads the identification of programs that need improvement. Creates and leads teams to address deficiencies. Negotiates to align resources from business functions.
- Facilitates implementation of continuous improvement and compliance assurance programs to ensure the site complies with applicable regulatory and company requirements and is “inspection ready” at all times.
- Tracks and trends compliance taking appropriate actions to ensure compliance and prevents reoccurrence.
- Provides leadership for achievement of SHE Site Goals (e.g., Roche Accident and Illness Rate, Key Figures, Risk Load, etc.) including data collection and analysis, action plan development, forecasting, communication and organizational influence as needed to set and achieve goals.
- May lead government and company compliance interactions relative to SHE requirements, including reporting, notification, facilitating inspections, and ensuring closure of corrective actions. Leads oversight and facilitation of SHE staff in the development and sustaining of SHE Committees/Teams.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
- Bachelor's Degree - Major in a physical science, life science, environmental sciences, engineering, safety, industrial hygiene, or other relevant field.
- Required completion of a national certification such as: Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM
Preferred: Master's Degree Business acumen helpful
- 8-10 years of progressive experience within an industry such as: automobile, diagnostics, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas industry, or other relevant industries.
- 3-5 years management experience
- Demonstrated experiences across 2-3 business functions.
Are equivalencies acceptable?
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Impact: Influences decision making of senior management of own function. May influence business decisions of a site with the site leadership team. Decision making is generally focused on one business unit, multiple small business units, or a complex/large site.
- Solid understanding of strategy and contributes to business goals within own business function(s).
- Planning horizon is 1 year.
- Accomplishes desired results across limited business functions of own business unit.
- Ability to work on projects across the business functions, business units, and our business area to develop and implement business wide solutions. Capable of multi-functional assignments.
- Ability to participate in the business planning process to determine key activities to support towards goals, targets, objectives, etc... Ability to establish departmental plans with input from leadership.
- Strong project management skills, team building, and organizational ability to implement new projects and programs in a timely and effective manner and to arrange competing tasks into logical steps.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills necessary to develop and maintain smooth, cooperative working relationships and to drive change across a business unit and/or multiple business functions.
- Proven background to identify, learn, develop, implement, and sustain new areas of subject matter expertise.
- Highly proficient negotiation, written and oral communication skills, active listening skills, and ability to effectively communicate scientific, technical, and regulatory information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: written (business e-mail, technical documents, programs) and verbal (meeting leading, presentation, and training).
- Highly proficient Computer Skills in Microsoft Office Suite in addition to use of Google Docs, Gmail, etc.
As needed Based on business needs.