The Procurement Operations Site Lead is accountable for the delivery of RMS and RSS Direct Procurement services and Business partnering support for Roche Diagnostics commercial product manufacturing operations and supply for New Jersey, California and South Africa including related distribution center. The role is responsible for direct procurement operations, and is accountable for the consistent, timely supply of quality material, finished/semi-finished goods to manufacturing operations and supply chain. As a leadership role, the Procurement Operations Lead is responsible for conducting business-partnering activities with site stakeholders across the business areas and ensuring high levels of customer service, contributing to overall savings targets, and forming the link between local and global Procurement activities. The role (or a delegate) will be part of the Global Operations Leadership Teams in RSS and RMS.
The Procurement Operations Lead is accountable for Procurement’s overall operational effectiveness and efficiencies, ensuring a focus on quality, material availability, supply contract compliance, in alignment with global Procurement strategies and activities. By driving a culture of continuous improvement and harmonization and in alignment with the respective Sr. Global Category Leads. The role also ensures consistent value-delivery through gaining operational efficiencies and driving optimal supplier performance. The role is responsible for ensuring direct procurement operations is conducted effectively, and in compliance with relevant policies, standards, guidelines, and operating procedures. The role is accountable to maintain direct procurement processes and procedures and ensure appropriate direct procurement representation in quality assurance and corporate audits in the region (US & South Africa).
In addition, the role also drives productivity generation in RMD and RSS, and ensures that resources gather network requirements to provide input into global strategies, and support regional and global socialization and implementation of initiatives for all Diagnostics Global Operations. The Procurement Operations Lead is further responsible for maintaining strong linkage where needed between the local operations in the region (US & South Africa).
The Procurement Operations Lead has strong leadership and management experience, along with deep procurement knowledge. The role is required to have strong leadership, communication, and management skills to ensure the linkage and global and requirements for the network are provided to the Category Management teams for consideration and inclusion into Category Strategies and plans.
As a strategic leadership role with significant management responsibility, the Procurement Operations Lead is responsible for ensuring the smooth execution for all of the sites sourcing activities. The role drives alignment and delivery of category value that enables increased Business engagement, and an elevation of the status of Procurement across the region and ultimately globally.
- Ensure Business alignment – Lead all resources to deliver business partnering activities across all local stakeholders within the site. Ensure coaching and guidance for each site as the cultures are unique and need strong leadership. Act as the primary Procurement Business Partner on site, partnering with local Business stakeholders to translate their Business strategies and needs into procurement requirements for incorporation and / or consideration by the Category Management team when developing or refreshing Category Strategies. Allocate global lead Procurement team members and provide guidance for delivering customer requirements.
- Maintain links between local and global activities – Accountable for maintaining strong links between global, network and local activities and teams and global Category and Supplier Management teams. Lead resources to gather requirements for Category Strategies and an annual pipeline of initiatives, and allocating local resources for implementation of global initiatives as requested. Ensure local operational sourcing resources are executing procurement activities in line with global Category Strategies.
- Ensure local implementation of initiatives – Lead the execution of critical strategic and critical projects across RMD and RSS (not driven by other DOP resources), ensuring that business stakeholders receive sufficient support from both global and local teams. Ensure translation of global negotiated terms into local agreements.
- Manage direct procurement operations activities – Oversee all operational sourcing activities within the sites (New Jersey, California and South Africa), ensuring a focus on strategic partnerships, quality, material availability and alignment to global Procurement strategies and activities. Determine, monitor and lead performance against targets on these focus areas and other relevant measures, and take corrective action where required. Act as the ultimate escalation point for the site leads for strategic and operational, customer service or other issues
- Establish effective local governance - Ensure a robust governance structure enabling efficient decision making for the local Procurement team and Business stakeholders with clear roles and responsibilities. Serve as the primary escalation point for internal issues and ensure resolution in a timely manner.
- Maintain right to operate – Ensure compliance to defined global (and regional if applicable) business and procurement processes and applicable quality standards and regulations. Provides global and regional view of Direct Procurement Operations process effectiveness, tracks/monitors compliance gaps, and ensures timely and effective resolution.
- Support local processes and technology deployment – Work with the Data Intelligence Program Managers, DIS and Navify Sequencing Team to implement new processes and systems, ensure needs are reviewed and implemented regionally and then locally, and support continuous improvement activities to drive additional value within the site.
- Develop people – Coach Procurement staff and Category team members worldwide and provide opportunities for professional development. Define a succession plan for the team to support career development and ensure a pipeline of talent.
- Manage performance - Manage performance and talent development for all direct functional reports and contribute to feedback to project related resources, according to Roche’s standards.
- Budgeting - Identify budgets needed to support the annual operating activities as part of the annual budgeting cycle. Manage the functional operating budget according to targets and efficiency goals.
Education, experience and skills
- BA, BS degree, Masters preferred
- Business level fluency in English
- 7+ years in-depth strategic and operational procurement experience with extensive knowledge of operational and transactional procurement activities.
- 10+ years overall business experience, including working within a regulated industry for regulated categories with familiarity of relevant legal risks and issues.
- Demonstrated success in leading global cross-functional project teams.
- Proven leadership and management capabilities including the ability to successfully provide feedback and development support to teams and individuals.
- Documented experience in leading value improvement programs.
- Excellent communication and project management skills with an ability to set priorities, direct teams, and deliver complex strategic initiatives.
- Change management and process improvement skills with direct experience in delivering complex business process / organizational change.
- Solid teaching skills and ability to explain complex concepts to different audiences.
- Proven capability in negotiation, conflict resolution and stakeholder management.
- Post graduate business related qualification.
- Fluency in English and understanding of different cultures
- Life Sciences/ Medical Device/ GMP industry or Management Consulting experience.
- Documented shared service center management or operational experience.
- Professional purchasing (e.g. CIPS, ISM) or Finance related licenses or certifications.
- Competence or fluency in primary business language of the region.
- Expert proficiency in business systems (Ariba, SAP etc.).
High flexibility and willingness to travel (air and ground both domestic and international) up to 20% for various meetings at Roche and Supplier sites.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Procurement, Procurement > Operational & Transactional Procurement