Using thorough understanding of company policies, objectives, and business models, effectively manages major segments of a law department and provides legal advice and counseling to senior management, with a focus on the Commercial Organization and commercial transactions. Handles and/or directs matters of substantial importance and impact on the organization, including but not limited to matters with “cross-business” impact. Provides direction and guidance to other attorneys in the department on the provision of day-to-day commercial legal counseling and leads the strategic vision of the Commercial Legal Team in close collaboration and alignment with the General Counsel. Assists General Counsel in Law Department policy and position-setting and guides other members of the Law Department in implementing same. Manages and supervises the work of other attorneys and professionals within the Law Department. This position is for a very experienced attorney who has exhibited competence in several legal areas of concentration and extensive experience, maturity, and sound judgment.
Participates with other leaders to establish strategic plans and objectives. May develop corporate policies and authorize their implementation. Participates in development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs and people for the company. Has in-depth knowledge of the company, business strategies and functional area. Regularly interacts with executives both internal and external and/or major customers for the purpose of influencing and negotiating. Provides direction to subordinate managers and/or high level individual contributors and typically has responsibility for a broad functional area with multiple departments, product groups or service areas.
Responsible for maintaining and continuously improving the quality system and achieving quality objectives through daily actions.
- Currently provides or has provided counseling on commercial and business law issues to all areas of the business. Has an in-depth working knowledge of all areas of the business and applies this knowledge in delivering proactive and strategic legal advice.
- Manages attorneys providing legal advice to specific business units; provides general guidance to assigned personnel in the performance of their work; appraises and counsels them, and manages their development, performance and compensation. Assists the General Counsel in ensuring alignment of legal advice and consistency of counsel across business units in the organization.
- Assists General Counsel in formulating departmental structure, vision and goals, including career development and retention planning for other attorneys.
- Studies major areas of concern to the organization from a legal or risk mitigation perspective and recommends changes in policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and closely collaborates with subject matter expert lawyers and global legal colleagues to facilitate achievement of U.S. business goals.
Who you are:
- Doctor of Jurisprudence from ABA-accredited law school, licensed to practice law in one or more of the 50 states.
- At least 12 years experience practicing law; with at least 3 years practicing law at a large to medium sized law firm and at least five years experience in a corporate law department.
- Minimum of three years experience managing people.
- Tenure at Roche working with multiple business units/areas or experience representing a company in a similar industry.
- Experience managing others directly or indirectly
- Willingness and ability to deliver a consistent message in the face of adversity
- A demonstrated ability to establish and maintain open and trusting work relationships
- At least five years’ experience in a corporate law department of a Life Sciences company, including Pharma/Diagnostic/Medical Device/Biotech companies.
- Tenure at Roche working with multiple business units/areas or experience representing a company in the Life Sciences sector.
- Maturity, self-awareness, strength of character, courage, agility and strong business partnership, influencing and collaboration skills. Willingness and ability to deliver a consistent message in the face of adversity.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Legal, Legal > Legal Counselling