At Roche, 80,000 people across 150 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. We believe in the urgency of delivering medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision-making and taking action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
As a Roche Postdoctoral Fellow in the Ophthalmology Department, you will develop and apply new and emerging technologies to bolster our key efforts toward evaluation of candidates for therapy of vision-threatening eye diseases. You will be working with a group of scientists in the Ophthalmology Discovery Department within Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) in Basel, Switzerland.
This position is sponsored by the Roche Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme. The RPF Programme has the ambition to build and maintain the Scientific Leadership of the future and to provide leading Roche scientists with the opportunity to collaborate with talented postdoctoral researchers, and leading academic research groups, from around the world. One of the key aims is to advance basic science and technologies that will be published in top-rated, peer-reviewed scientific journals, if necessary preceded by priority patent applications.
The duration of RPF project is initially set for two years, with the possibility of extension for a third year.
In this position you will:
- Develop and implement innovative organ-on-a-chip technologies to model retinal microvasculature and ocular tissues as well as specific features of retinal disease physiopathology including but not limited to diabetic retinopathy
- Employ microfluidic design, biomaterials, and hydrogel synthesis to recreate ocular microenvironment in vitro
- Develop and/or apply new analytical approaches, imaging methods, and image analysis methodologies to provide robust and reliable readouts
- Collaborate with a vibrant scientist community both at Roche and with an academic mentor with extensive expertise in microphysiological systems applied to drug development
- Be expected to generate high quality publications in top peer-reviewed journals
You are someone who wants to influence your own development. You are looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
You hold a PhD in the field of bioengineering, mechanical engineering, tissue engineering, or related field.
You also have experience and expertise in the following:
- Strong expertise in advanced 3D cellular models, organ-on-a-chip technologies, microphysiological systems, microfluidics. Experience with vascular models would be a plus
- Expertise in biomaterials, hydrogels for cell encapsulation, synthetic and natural polymers
- Strong skills in state-of-the-art imaging methods including high content imaging, confocal microscopy and image analysis software
- Sound knowledge of computer programming. Ability to use data analysis and visualization softwares such as Matlab or Python
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to build good working relationships, and work in team
- Creativity, out-of-the box thinking, self-drive, and willingness to take risks
- Ability to work independently, design, perform, and interpret experiments, and to embark on new scientific methodologies
- Ability to formulate and implement innovate scientific strategy and lab operations and to champion ideas and projects.
You have been actively engaged in scientific research continuously since your PhD and ready to start an RPF postdoctoral activity no later than 5 years after your PhD.
When does it start?
The start date of this fellowship is June 2020 or based on availability. Please clearly indicate your preferred starting date on your motivation letter.
All applications always need to include a CV, motivation letter and a publication list.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
More information about the RPF Programme: https://www.roche.com/careers/workplaces/wp_research/the-roche-postdoctoral-fellowship-programme.htm
If you still have questions then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Are you ready to apply? We want someone who thinks beyond the job offered - someone who knows that this position can be a unique springboard to many other opportunities at Roche.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tags: ROiQQ ROiLS ROiEE ROiTEC
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development, Research & Development > Research