MSL Field Director Job Description
From the beginning, Genentech has been a team of highly dedicated, passionate individuals. We are a place where people are united around a single purpose and an ambitious vision. Together, we aspire to deliver ever better health outcomes for patients while lowering overall healthcare costs.
The Therapeutic Area (TA) MSL Field Director is responsible for creating, leading, and inspiring a large regional MSL team, focused on enhancing patient outcomes through improved customer engagement. They will work with TA MSL Head, to support the creation of the long-term vision and strategic / tactical plan for regions and individual ecosystems, in partnership with Senior Leaders across the organization including Squad Medical Partner, Field Medical Partner, Medical Executive Directors (MEDs) and Medical Network (NoS).
The TA MSL Field Director plays a crucial role in facilitating strong MSL relationships across the healthcare landscape with external scientific, medical, and patient communities in their region, and is expected to build relationships with key customers through expert peer-to-peer engagements. By maintaining a high-level understanding of customer needs across their therapeutic area at a regional level, they are expected to understand and evaluate the organization’s opportunities and constraints to advance the care continuum and the delivery of healthcare through broad clinical and population health research opportunities and build capabilities with an enterprise mindset.
The TA MSL Field Director will provide medical leadership and work with their TA MSL team to ensure national and regional decisions are pulled through at the local level. They are also accountable for coaching, mentoring and leading their TA MSL team to deliver a valued scientific customer experience. They will shape TA MSL competencies, tools and resources that foster scientific exchange with key stakeholders across the healthcare landscape (e.g., local and external scientific and medical communities, managed care, etc.). The TA MSL Field Director is also accountable for ensuring that the TA MSL team stays abreast of the latest innovations in the therapeutic area and shares actionable insights with appropriate stakeholders across the organization.
Co-create the regional strategy, objectives, and priorities with Squad and MED partners in alignment with business needs, in response to the changing healthcare landscape and customer needs, in order to increase customer satisfaction, improve outcomes and lower overall healthcare costs Develop strong relationships with regional TAEs in their therapeutic area and be accountable to the relationship building / bridging within Genentech and Roche. Engage, develop and perform Medical Affairs Executive Director (MED) type activities as needed per ecosystem and act as a ‘additional resource’ to the ecosystem MED as needed. Inspire, lead with and without specific authority, and provide strategic professional development, mentorship and coaching so that their team is empowered to deliver all aspects related to scientific exchange Maintain effective and regular two-way communication with Squads, medical team partners, regional field partners, ecosystem teams and MEDs to create a continuous feedback loop of information and insights to interpret and co-create the regional medical strategy and ensure consistency in strategic regional priorities Inspire and lead regional MSL team to ensure operation at full potential, consistent delivery above and beyond for customers, patients, and healthcare stakeholders while leveraging Roche/ Genentech capabilities (inclusive of our medicines, services, technology, talents); strong work ethic, pushing self and team to go above and beyond in looking for opportunities to enhance the customer experience Work closely with TA MSL Head, TA MSL and MED Field Directors to align regional medical strategies and priorities and ensure pull through across ecosystems. Identify resources and tools needed to empower MSLs to deliver all aspects related to scientific exchange on clinical and HEOR data across the entire healthcare landscape Build, cultivate and leverage relationships with key customers to deliver on their needs and ensure strong understanding of evolving healthcare trends; stay updated on relevant therapeutic area and business topics to drive innovation and cross-pollination within team and across the organization
Key Activities & Responsibilities:
- Co-create, with TA MSL Head, TA MSL, MED Field Directors, Squad partners and medical network partners, customer-specific strategy, vision, objectives, and priorities based on squad priorities and national medical strategy
- Build, cultivate and leverage relationships with external regional scientific, medical, and managed care communities to ensure strong understanding of evolving healthcare trends
- Serve in MED role with specific customers in the region, drawing on high level knowledge of Genentech portfolio, healthcare landscape, and specific customer needs
- Attend conferences each year to stay up-to-date on the latest scientific developments and network with thought leaders, TAEs, and other key customers (ie specific to their regional TAE assignments – leverage through conferences).
- Attend and contribute to regional Field Director meetings and Squad meetings as needed in therapeutic area to discuss and raise relevant regional issues to FMT Head and internal stakeholders, requiring enterprise mindset and strong business understanding of customer needs and priorities within their region
- Collaborate across CMG regional Field Directors to understand regional needs from a broader perspective, ensure consistency in strategic priorities and co-create and deliver customer-centric solutions
- Act as player / coach for TA MSLs to support key deliverables that focus on issues specific to customer need from scientific exchange, clinical trials, managed care topics, value-based topics and customer engagement across USMA, disease specific medical teams, and the broader Genentech organization
- Work with TA MSL Head, TA MSLs to identify upskilling opportunities and ensure TA MSLs are upskilled on topics relevant to customers (e.g., medical, scientific, value-based / total cost care discussions, and customer experience) with CMG T&D
- Accompany TA MSLs on 2-3 field rides per month to coach TA MSLs in field (typically ~70% of the time in field); work within the ecosystem and region to enable ecosystem specific initiatives to implement in a timely fashion.
- Is proficient in TA MSL role and can step in for open roles / leave of absences (will likely require a field proficiency at Field Director level).
- Maintain the highest standards and levels of scientific, clinical, health economic and technical expertise, and ensure the same among staff members; reviewing and keeping updated on scientific/medical journals and other relevant publications, attending scientific, clinical, commercial and other key conferences, forums, and meetings
- Advanced Clinical/Science Degree required (e.g., PharmD, PhD, MSN, MPH, etc.). BSN with extensive clinical experience may be considered.
- 7 years of related work experience (clinical, managed care, or industry experience) strongly preferred, with demonstrable evidence of successfully leading and managing MSL or customer facing team to consistently deliver desired results
- Prior experience as a field medical science liaison is preferred, with evidence of strong customer engagement skills
- Outstanding healthcare landscape knowledge, therapeutic area expertise and business acumen required; knows the industry, Genentech's business model and value proposition, product and safety profiles, key competitors and other marketplace factors/dynamics
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, prioritizing and management of high-level initiatives and projects to consistently deliver results required
- Previous experience with leading, coaching, and developing people and/or teams highly preferred
- Demonstrates strategic and enterprise thinking, with dedication to deliver innovative, customer-centric solutions
- Strong communication and effective collaboration skills to work across an extremely matrixed stakeholder organization (e.g., ecosystem teams, Squad, NoS partners, E4A partners, Field partners, Global partners, etc.) with proven record of influencing senior leadership without direct authority
- Ongoing investment in developing self and others to enable others to achieve their potential, deliver ambitious goals or achieve excellence
- Embraces an agile mindset to develop necessary processes to get things done. Knows how to organize people and activities effectively to achieve impactful outcomes
- Learning mindset, open to training and becoming an expert across customer types or multiple therapeutic areas; ability to learn other disease or product areas as business needs and product life cycles change
- Strong financial acumen: capable of driving and managing larger-scale budget responsibilities
- GCP (Good Clinical Practice) and ICH (International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use) proficient
- In-depth knowledge of Phase IV/post-marketing drug development is preferred
CMG Operating Principles
I put the patient first, always.
I am obsessed with meeting customer needs.
I act on behalf of the whole company, not just my team.
I am inclusive.
I build a culture of trust.
I have a growth mindset.
I act with urgency.
I am accountable.
I radically simplify and prioritize for impact.
I follow the science.
I build our reputation.
Complies with all laws, regulations, policies and procedures that govern the conduct of Genentech activities
This is a field-based position and requires overnight travel to meet with customers, internal stakeholders, and attend relevant conferences as needed. This position requires significant driving of either a company provided or personal vehicle as well as prolonged periods of sitting, both of which are part of the essential duties and responsibilities of the role. As a result, Genentech, Inc. (Company) from time to time will check your motor vehicle record for purposes of determining your eligibility for driving a Company vehicle or driving any vehicle on Company business.