Who We Are
At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision and action. That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigor, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
You will be part of the Translational Sciences Oncology (TSO) initiative of Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) Oncology. The TSO group combines the existing expertise of Discovery Cancer Immunotherapy (CIT) and Early Biomarker Development Oncology (EBDO) departments into a cross-functional team nurturing our mission to transform pioneering scientific discoveries into effective medicines. The CIT team consists of cancer immunology and quantitative biology scientists conceiving innovative ways to fight cancer. The EBDO team consists of biomarker experts and scientists supporting drug development by designing and implementing precision medicine strategies aiming at selecting the right molecule for the right patient and enhancing our understanding of disease biology. Together, we form a team striving to augment and accelerate translation of preclinical and clinical findings into innovative biomarker strategies to provide proof of mechanism and patient stratification and/or selection options. Built on a diversity of skills and expertise such as immunologists, oncologists, pathologists, imaging scientists, biomarker experts and data scientists, TSO promotes pRED Oncology vision to develop curative medicines for cancer patients.
As an Oncology Biomarker Data Scientist, you will be embedded into both EBDO and CIT groups to enable and support reverse translational research of multiple biomarker data types and generate insights. You will also be part of an internal network of data scientists enabling cross-learnings, methodology sharing and improvement, and insight sharing.
Your mission will be to analyze and interpret preclinical and clinical biomarker data to support reverse translation (e.g. characterize tumor heterogeneity, identify resistance mechanisms to cancer therapies, drive scientific innovation, etc.).
Here is a glimpse into some responsibilities and activities:
- Analysis and interpretation of multiple biomarker data types, with a focus on high-dimensional single cells data, retrieval and analysis of such biomarker data from Roche and external repositories, providing fit for purpose analytical and statistical methods
- Development and application of statistical methods and mathematical models building integrated multimodal statistical framework for interpretation and predictive usage of heterogeneous patient-derived data (low- and high-dimensional data, functional in-vitro data)
- Integrate pharmacology, pharmacodynamic and other biomarker datasets using state-of-the-art data computer programming approaches enabling quantitative analysis
- Design and deliver advanced quantitative data analyses using large/complex datasets
- Develop and manage data analytics solutions, provide new capabilities and services to enable decision-making and insight generation
- Quickly recognize and mitigate data quality problems
- Translate business needs into functional and technical requirements for data management, reporting and visualization activities
- Collaborate within cross-functional teams to develop solutions, gain alignment and deliver impactful business insights
- Coordinate multiple data analysis projects and help defining the optimal resources/skills allocations (including internal and external resources)
- Be at the forefront of methods development and actively evaluate their potential and possible contribution to TSO goals
- Openly share perspective and insights to elevate team thinking and drive a balanced, holistic point of view
Who You Are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You are looking for a company where you receive the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Working in a multicultural environment motivates you. As a fast learner you actively drive the quality of the requirements.
If you have these qualifications and skills, we look forward to receiving your application:
- PhD in life or engineering sciences, with emphasis in biotechnology, data science, computer science, biostatistics, or related discipline
- Good understanding of Immunology and Cancer Biology is mandatory for this role
- Experienced in reverse translation in the field of Cancer Immunotherapy
- Proven track record of generating and analyzing high dimensional single cell data (CyTOF, scRNAseq); experience in spatial transcriptomics and proteomics is a plus
- Shown experience with handling/analyzing clinical biomarker data
- Experience in working in a multidisciplinary and clinical development environment is a plus
- Proficient in one or more programming language (R, Python, Matlab, C++ and/or SAS)
- Passionate about data science and drug development
- Good communicator that can engage with senior leadership and communicate data science activities and achievements
- Executing scientific rigor
- High organizational skills and a strong capacity to focus on complex tasks
- High capabilities to efficiently work in a matrix team environment, analyzing different viewpoints and pro-actively propose constructive solutions
If you are proud of contributing and feel you have the dedication to teamwork and innovation that we are seeking, then Roche is the organization for you. Every role at Roche plays a part in making a difference to patients’ lives. If you want to work in a passionate team, make your mark & improve lives, apply now.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you have questions, please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development, Research & Development > Research