Are you looking for a new challenge in science?
Large Molecule Research (LMR) in Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (Roche pRED) is responsible for providing innovative protein therapeutics for all Roche pRED Discovery and Translational Areas (DTAs). The scope of our activities extends from the generation of new molecules up to the production of the clinical material for phase I. The Discovery department at our Roche Innovation Center Munich in Penzberg is responsible for the discovery and design of novel protein therapeutics that will provide clinical benefit for the patients in need.
In this challenging environment, we are looking for an experienced leader (m/f/d) to head the Discovery department in Large Molecule Research.
Your job in a nutshell:
Strategy, Science and Stakeholder interaction as well as excellence in people leadership. Together with your team, you define the biologics discovery strategy for Roche pRED. Your group is responsible for execution of the lead identification and optimization strategies of the biologics portfolio and for the development of innovative platforms and molecule formats.
Your team in a nutshell:
You will be leading a team of app. 100 employees with 4-6 direct reports that work in a functional matrix with people leads and single contributors together with highly skilled and experienced lab co-workers.
Your key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following tasks:
- You are responsible for setting ambitious goals and long-term development strategies for the department in line with the global pRED strategy. To guarantee continuous and innovative development of our technology platforms, you will make sure that internal competences are ideally complemented by external innovation and expertise.
- As a member of the global LMR leadership team, you will contribute to the governance, strategic direction and culture of the division, as well as strategic decisions within and outside the function.
- In your role, you will coordinate all work with our LMR Discovery unit in Zurich, Switzerland. Besides, you are also responsible for all interfaces of the main department / function within Roche (pRED and partner functions) as well as outside of Roche. In this context, we also ask you to act as the main contact to our colleagues in biologics discovery at Genentech, USA and Chugai, Japan/Singapore.
- It is up to you to represent the department internally and externally (e.g. by organizing symposia, representation and presentations at international conferences).
- While leading your department in accordance with the Roche Leadership Commitments you make sure that an optimal use of internal resources is guaranteed. And something more is really important: that you act as advocate for change by constantly challenging the status quo of the organization, encouraging adoption of new approaches and demonstrating ongoing commitment to become more dynamic, agile and continuously improve.
- The development and implementation of a publication and IP management strategy for the technology unit is also one of your tasks
That is why it is very important for us that your toolbox contains the following:
Team player spirit: you enjoy working in a team where there are no single heroes and both successes as well as failures are accounted for by the whole team.
Curiosity and drive: you are willing to suggest and try new ideas by your own initiative. You take ownership and are able to engage people to work on something new.
Leadership skills: you have a genuine interest in people, excellent communication skills and the willingness to make and drive decisions. Furthermore, you are known as a proactive and distinguished leader with a strategic, visionary and entrepreneurial way of thinking.
Strategic thinking: you see the big picture, take changes as an opportunity to grow, understand the processes end-to-end and are able to take care of diverse interfaces.
Presentation skills: you are used to present yourself and your work in English in a clear and convincing way before big audiences and management boards.
Generally, you highly appreciate a dynamic, highly networked and cooperative working environment.
And the technical requirements for this position?
- You completed your university degree in chemistry, biology, biochemistry or medicine (Ph.D. or M.D.) with honors
- Furthermore, you have at least 15 years working experience in research (industry or academia), with a min. 10 years of work experience in R&D (Pharmaceutical industry or biotechnology) in a leading position
- You have an excellent understanding of the early research and development phases of protein therapeutics and you are capable in turning it into a strategy for providing tailor-made biochemical solutions in each phase of the process
- You are an expert in the discovery of novel biologics with good understanding of disease biology – preferably in the areas of oncology, neuroscience, ophthalmology and inflammation. Besides, you have a solid understanding of the pharmaceutical and biotech industry.
- Due to your broad experience, you always focus on the big picture and you can easily align the goals for your area of responsibility with the overall strategy
- You have several years' leadership experience and you have a proven track record of ensuring and maintaining a creative and highly motivated working atmosphere in your team
- You have hands on experience in change management and successfully lead such processes in the past
- Integrity and self-confidence are your key personality traits
We look forward receiving your application!
For your application, please keep it simple. We only ask you for an updated CV. A motivation letter is also not needed.
Whom to contact
E. Hallermayer-Jahreiß +498856/60 19253
For technical questions, you can use our FAQ.
Should you have recruiting specific questions on your application or the specific job posting, please contact the responsible recruiter (E. Hallermayer-Jahreiß, +498856/60 19253).