Main Purpose of the Position:
The Head of Pharma Technical (PT) Lean and Capability Building is a new role that reports to the Global Head of Pharma Technical Assets (PTA). This leader will develop the Organizational Learning strategy for PT that will be used to support the PT long range plan and build capability to manage our operations more efficiently and drive sustainable continuous improvement in support of business goals. This strategy will couple innovative/cutting edge technologies to advance organizational capabilities while fostering an effective learning organization that: thinks systematically leveraging Roche’s Lean Production System (including seeing and solving problems through analytical thinking); learns from the successes and failures of others’; captures and shares organizational knowledge; is agile and adapts based on organizational wisdom; enhances leaders as coaches and teachers; supports individual commitment to personal mastery.
- Actively promote the utilization and maturation of Roche’s Lean Production System (LPS) throughout PT. Specifically aligning with critical partners across the PT Network e.g. Manufacturing, Quality, Facilities and Engineering, Operational Excellence, Business Support, Human Resources, etc at both strategic and tactical levels, ensuring consistent application of the LPS methodology and tools.
- Apply strategic thinking across multiple platforms, functions and regions to find opportunities to overcome “silo thinking” and achieve the “systemic” benefit of the LPS as a fundamental part of the way PT operates
- Be a visible “Lean Leader” who credibly and consistently demonstrates servant leadership and our PT Lean Leadership behaviors by example
- Ensure that learning and knowledge management policies, procedures, practices, and documentation (i.e., records) meet regulatory/health authority Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) expectations
- Own the global Learning & Development vision, mission, strategy, business plan, goals and resulting execution to implement dynamic learning systems that are integral to the future success of the organization and support human performance improvement
- Own the infrastructure for all learning and development programs by establishing standardized methods and procedures for delivery, evaluation, measurement and reporting
- Own PT-wide capability building programs, continuously evaluating them for effectiveness and alignment with PT strategy. Act as a change agent for global PT-wide change initiatives to utilize the LPS, capability building systems and knowledge management to deliver improved business results, including engagement of the respective sponsors for these initiatives
- Act as a coach/mentor/trainer/facilitator throughout PT as required to directly support groups/sites/functions in developing or reinforcing the utilization of the LPS, emphasizing self-reinforcing capability building (e.g. PTG “Showcase” or the LPS Certification)
Competencies Identified for Success:
- Global organization leadership: Proven ability to lead and align an organization with diverse disciplines and global reach; experience developing/realizing a vision and multi-year strategies. Passion for developing talent and a culture of innovation, collaboration and engagement. Demonstrated ability to lead transformation and effectively engage stakeholders.
- Exceptional strategic consulting skills: deeply listens and responds with agility. Navigates complex organizational and business dynamics, including the ability to influence and partner with the Global Head, PTA.
- A proven track record of using leadership skills to influence strategic and operational improvements and innovation across functions and teams within and outside your direct area of responsibility, showing a clear ability to drive pragmatic results-oriented action in a diverse, cross-functional matrix organization.
- Strong executive presence and resonant communication at all levels. Experience framing communications for executive audiences.
- Strategic and systems thinker who proactively anticipates business risks and has a strong drive for execution. Balances need to create an exceptional workforce experience with need to deliver operational efficiency.
- Exceptional business and financial acumen. Proven coach to others in developing business cases. Strong enterprise mindset.
- Ability to navigate and influence the global PT and Roche cultures, including new ways of working. Demonstrated experience and success with building networks and collaborating with key clients and partnering functions (i.e. PT Site and Global Functions, Operational Excellence, PT Strategy Office, HR and Organizational Development, Finance, etc).
- Possesses strong network of external thought partners who bring insights on best practices in global business operations, strategy and high performance cultures.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Education: Master’s Degree (ideally in industrial engineering, adult learning, business administration, or science)
- 15+ years of relevant business experience in progressively more responsible roles. Brings a generalist perspective from multiple experiences in corporate business environments, ideally with exposure to pharma, diagnostics or manufacturing environments. At least 10 years leading multi-disciplinary teams and directly managing people. Experience leading employees and contractors are essential.
- Exceptional leader—able to inspire and motivate teams to make a big impact and deliver their best every day. Track record of having the courage to drive change, while balancing risks and pacing for success. Significant experience leading strategic initiatives that required large scale program management and resulted in efficiencies, including process improvements and change management.
- Outstanding analytical skills and financial acumen: capable of analyzing financial, quantitative and/or qualitative data and translating into high-impact learnings and recommendations.
- Experience and expertise in Lean Production System or Operational Excellence (OE) highly desired.
- This position will be located in either SSF or Basel.
- Ability to travel regionally and globally approximately 30-40%.