NOTE: This position will be based in Basel, Switzerland
Main Purpose of the Position:
The Head of Global Project Delivery for Pharma Technical Assets (PTA) reports to the Global Head, PTA and is a member of the PTA Leadership Team. This new leadership position will have global responsibility for all design and construction projects over CHF 10M for Roche Pharma Technical Operations , including functional accountability for project management and project controls. As needed, provide design and construction expertise/guidance for projects < CHF 10M which are executed by the local site engineering teams.
The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational leadership skills, executive presence and exceptional business and financial acumen. This seasoned leader must have significant corporate design and construction experience, ideally in a highly regulated/GMP environment with dynamic and competitive business conditions. This individual must have exceptional operational and business leadership skills, including change leadership and stakeholder influence abilities, and is able to drive innovation in capital project management approaches/strategies.
- Provide leadership and oversight to the Project Delivery function, including creating a vision, multi-year strategies and operating model for a customer centric, globally aligned function. The position will oversee, develop and retain a technical workforce of ~ 50 employees globally. The total workforce will also be comprised of independent contractors and strategic service providers that deliver on a multi-billion CHF CAPEX portfolio.
- Partner with key PTLT members, Site Heads, and the PTA LT to:
- Align on the PTA capital project portfolio to ensure realization of the asset strategy to meet PT objectives.
- Develop business cases for capital projects to ensure the right projects are delivered at the right cost and the right time--with minimal business impact and optimal sustainability.
- Ensure global manufacturing projects of >CHF 10M are delivered on time, within budget and scope, and meeting safety and regulatory standards. Ensure oversight and governance for project approvals, cost, schedule, delivery and strategic partner relationships.
- Develop PTA capabilities in project management and project controls. Ensure project management processes are efficient and effective. Provide sponsorship to leaders who have direct responsibility for these technical disciplines.
- In partnership with key stakeholders, play a pivotal role in evolving our design standards to apply agile principles and technology advances.
- Keep pace with global Design & Construction industry trends and implications for the PT business. Ensure innovative, sustainable and cost effective design and construction strategies.
- Partner with the head of Asset Planning to develop a forward thinking, customer focused annual and long term capital plan.
Competencies Identified for Success:
- Global organization leadership in a large enterprise. Proven ability to lead and align an organization with diverse technical disciplines and global reach; experience developing/realizing a vision and multi-year strategies. Passion for developing talent and a culture of innovation, collaboration and engagement. Demonstrated ability to lead transformation and effectively engage stakeholders.
- Corporate design and construction functional expertise, including a portfolio of capital projects over CHF 10M. Proven success leading project management and project controls functions globally. Understands right to operate, governance and global labor requirements, and best practices in design and construction, including sustainability and energy efficiency.
- Exceptional executive presence and strategic consulting skills. Frames communications to resonate with their audience. Deeply listens and responds with agility and resilience. Navigates complex organizational and business dynamics, including the ability to influence and partner with senior level executives.
- Strategic and systems thinker who proactively anticipates business risks and has a strong drive for execution with a compliance focus. Balances need to create an exceptional workforce experience with need to deliver operational efficiency.
- Exceptional business and financial acumen. Proven coach to others in developing business cases. Strong enterprise mindset. Strong understanding of manufacturing and research business drivers and triggers to build infrastructure for the future.
- Ability to navigate and influence the global PT and Roche cultures, including new ways of working. Demonstrated experience and success with building networks and collaborating with key senior level partners, including Site Heads, PT LT and PTA LT members.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Education: BS/BA in Business, Engineering, and/or Design & Construction with a preference for expertise in mechanical, electrical, environmental or related field. MBA desirable, as is certifications in Six Sigma, Lean or Operational Excellence.
- Demonstrated success with at least 15+ year experience in Corporate Design & Construction either as a client or service provider, and ideally in biopharma, life sciences or other highly regulated industry. Strong experience providing direction to architecture and engineering and construction management and general construction firms--and having accountability for service provider executive relationships.
- 20+ years business experience in progressively more responsible roles. Brings a generalist perspective from multiple experiences in corporate business environments, ideally with depth of expertise in design & construction, project management and facilities management. At least 15 years leading multi-disciplinary teams and directly managing people. Experience leading leaders and organizations with a significant workforce (at least 30).
- Exceptional leader—able to inspire and motivate teams to make a big impact and deliver their best every day. Significant experience leading the development and realization of vision, strategy and new operating models. Must have successfully held a regional and/or global scope position previously. Track record of having the courage to drive change, while balancing risks and pacing for success.
- Outstanding analytical skills and financial acumen: capable of analyzing financial, quantitative and/or qualitative data and translating into high-impact insights and recommendations, particularly in optimizing the delivery of large capital projects.
- Experience managing a significant budget (at least $100M), meeting financial targets, and driving cost savings. Demonstrated success consistently meeting performance metrics.
- This position will be located in Basel, Switzerland. Due to the broad footprint of PT sites globally, anticipate significant travel (~30-50%).
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Manufacturing, Manufacturing > Operational Excellence