Medical Affairs Executive Director - Florida / Puerto Rico (MED) (Ecosystem)
The Medical Affairs Executive Director - Florida / Puerto Rico (MED) (Ecosystem)
is a cross portfolio role, responsible for co-creating and driving an overarching medical strategy across a local healthcare region with the goal of improving patient outcomes and customer experience. In collaboration with other field partners, the MED will develop a deep understanding of the local healthcare region across health systems, payers, and other key influencers in the region. In addition, they will identify opportunities to advance the care continuum and the delivery of healthcare through broad clinical and population health research opportunities that include Real World Evidence (RWE) and the ability to leverage the suite of Roche assets across Flatiron Health, Foundation Medicine, and Roche Diagnostics as appropriate. The MED will have field accountability with key customers in the ecosystem and will be responsible for collaborating closely with therapeutic area MSLs (TA MSLs) within the same region to gain alignment and execute against shared medical goals. The MED will work in close partnership with their commercial counterpart, the Healthcare Market Executive Director (HED), to ensure shared accountability across the designated region, being fully accountable for delivering on the medical aspects of the business and the overarching customer experience. The MED is also responsible for leading change management, supporting people development, and identifying enhanced competency opportunities for their region’s team.
The MED will provide medical leadership for a defined region’s team to deliver an enhanced end to end customer experience and greater engagement in the delivery of health care solutions, inclusive of patient outcomes, customer satisfaction, and joint value.
- Deeply understand the unique medical needs of each customer in their clinical, research, and business goals to increase satisfaction, improve outcomes and lower overall healthcare costs
- Connect with key medical customers to co-create solutions leveraging Genentech/ Roche capabilities (inclusive of our medicines, services, technology, talents) along the healthcare continuum.
- Prioritize relationships with key access decision-makers in healthcare systems, managed care organizations, payers, and government programs to optimize appropriate coverage policy, pathway inclusion, patient identification algorithms; further developing medically driven mitigation strategies to remove barriers impacting patients access to Genentech products
- Define the strategic near and long-term medical vision and direction for the healthcare region in order to identify opportunities for collaboration which enhance patient outcomes and experience
- Lead and influence regional field medical discussions across therapeutic areas to identify and elevate medically focused opportunities, resources, and strategic action across regions
- Act with executive ownership mindset with a focus on a comprehensive medical strategy in order to achieve optimal outcomes for patients
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Primary medical point of contact for large customers in their region to co-create, prioritize, plan, and implement mutual beneficial, cross portfolio or population health initiatives that are aligned with account and U.S. Medical Affairs (USMA) priorities
- Lead development and execution of medical strategy and vision (with TA MSLs) aligned with the broader organization and provide ongoing visibility of account plans to all relevant stakeholders
- Foster amongst team ongoing awareness of the cross-functional disease area leadership team and USMA objectives and strategy to integrate into account plans across the region
- As needed, facilitate and coordinate TA MSL touchpoints to optimize medical engagements with shared region customers. Partner with TA MSLs for discussions that require deep scientific, technical expertise
- Help determine allocation of resources and make investment decisions to maximize patient outcomes and customer engagement while delivering value for Genentech
- Ability to provide high level scientific engagement across the Genentech portfolio of products, to include pipeline presentations across all key disease and therapeutic areas
- In partnership with the HED, establish and manage senior stakeholders and C-suite relationships across the region in order to better understand their needs and identify insights and opportunities for medical collaboration
- Identify and co-create research collaboration opportunities across customers within a region to address key questions in the delivery of patient care
- In conjunction with the region’s field team:
- Identify and establish health outcomes and RWE collaborations that leverage capabilities of the region
- Identify scientific research priorities with TA MSLs, other region health services researchers, or through appropriate internal stakeholders (medical teams, health outcomes research teams, development, etc.)
- Collaborates with HED to ensure appropriate triage of commercial opportunities while leveraging medical staff for appropriate discussions and support
- Supports geographic or local healthcare market opportunities (e.g., Oncology Care Model)
- Represent cross portfolio customer needs, insights and knowledge to other parts of Genentech including senior leadership and other internal partners (i.e. cross-functional disease area leadership team, medical teams, health outcomes research team, etc.) in order to advance shared goals between Genentech and the customer.
- Identify, facilitate, and pull through training needs for the region field medical partners and beyond to ensure team members are competent in evolving market landscape
- Track the region’s customer experience, both formally and informally, and use this information to enhance customer engagement and medical strategy
- Develop and track metrics across the medical portfolio in partnership with HED, when appropriate to include – total number of clinical trials by disease area, performance across clinical trials, delivery on research initiatives, clinical pathway and guideline implementation and utilization, formulary status, etc. Identify opportunities through analytics and ongoing business reviews and using agile approaches to adapt medical plans where required
- Create and foster a culture that is collaborative and customer centric, and a team that is curious about possibility and empowered for action
- This position will have direct accountability for providing coaching and feedback to their region partners. In some regions depending on size, complexity, and geography, this position could be a role with management responsibilities for field medical personnel in the region
- Lead change and encourage a mindset of experimentation and innovation to continually refresh and enhance the customer experience
- This position may be accountable for covering more than one healthcare region pending business needs
- Advanced clinical science degree required (MD, PharmD, MsRPH, PhD, MSN, NP, PA, etc.)
- 10 years related work experience strongly preferred (managed care/health plan, hospital administration, clinical pathway or formulary decision maker, industry experience, etc.) with demonstrable evidence of successfully partnering with customers and achieving shared goals and outcomes
- Developing and implementing strategy across complex healthcare environments with an ability to influence without authority and mobilize colleagues to action around shared goals
- Ability to lead complex cross-functional account teams and operating under ambiguity without a set playbook, including aligning teams
- Strong ability to lead, influence, and work in a matrixed environment regardless of reporting structure
- Ongoing investment in developing self and others to enable others to achieve their potential, deliver ambitious goals or achieve excellence
- Excellent understanding of external laws, codes and company policies that apply to the healthcare industry
Genentech’s Operating Principles
I put the patient first, always.
I am tenacious in meeting customer needs.
I act on behalf of the whole company, not just my team.
I am inclusive.
I build a culture of trust.
I grow my capabilities to increase my impact.
I have a bias for action.
I am accountable.
I use time and resources to create the most impact.
I act with integrity.
Complies with all laws, regulations, policies and procedures that govern the conduct of Genentech activities.
It is highly preferred the candidate live within the region.
This is a field-based position and requires overnight travel to meet with customers, internal stakeholders, and attend relevant conferences as needed. This position requires significant driving of either a company provided or personal vehicle as well as prolonged periods of sitting, both of which are part of the essential duties and responsibilities of the role. As a result, Genentech, Inc. (Company) from time to time will check your motor vehicle record for purposes of determining your eligibility for driving a Company vehicle or driving any vehicle on Company business.