Roche Sequencing Santa Clara is developing nanopore-sequencing technology to improve the lives of people in a wide variety of applications, including the timely screening of newborns for diseases and the diagnosis of cancers and infectious diseases. Roche is looking for a motivated and team-oriented individual who is passionate about finding new ways to address these urgent needs. As a Principal Scientist, you will be leading scientists that are designing, expressing, purifying, and characterizing biological nanopores for Roche Sequencing Solution’s (RSS) next generation sequencing platform. The successful candidate must be excited about single molecule kinetics and learning new concepts from chemistry, physics, algorithm development and electrical engineering and applying them to an interdisciplinary project.
WHO ARE YOU:
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
- Lead a team of PhD and non-PhD membrane protein scientists and protein engineers that are designing, expressing, purifying, and characterizing biological nanopores for Roche Sequencing Solution’s (RSS) next generation sequencing platform.
- You should be passionate about working at the bleeding edge of biology and technology to create products that can change people's lives. You have a flexible and learning mindset and are able to work in a fluid and dynamic environment. You have a strong desire to pursue creative solutions to challenging problems.
- You proactively seek out and implement new technologies to improve construct design, expression, and purification of nanopore-forming membrane proteins.
- You will prepare packages/presentations of scientific data and present results from your team to members of the senior management team.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional groups to evaluate lead candidates that may impact sequencing performance
- Provides technical advice/guidance to junior scientific staff, and serves as a role model. Manage direct reports with full HR responsibility which includes which includes hiring/firing decisions, interviewing, selections, performance feedback, discipline, pay decisions and handling employee grievances/complaints.
- Ph D with 5+ years, in structural biology, biochemistry, electrophysiology, molecular biology, biophysics, or biotechnology.
- 3+ years of experience managing, training, and mentoring teams of bench scientists.
- Track record of experience designing, expressing, purifying, biochemical/biophysical, and/or structural/functional characterization of biological nanopores and/or ion channels in the form of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong background in structural biology and/or protein engineering with extensive knowledge of commonly used laboratory techniques (ie: SDS-PAGE, IEC, SEC-MALS, CD, Patch Clamp, etc.)
- Ability to perform statistical analyses on datasets (ie: T-test, ANOVA, Tukey’s HSD, etc.) that lead to actionable scientific hypotheses and conclusions.
- Ability to write code in statistical programming language(s) such as R or Python is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams.
- Excellent verbal/written communication, organizational, analytical, presentation, and interpersonal skills.