Provides proactive and strategic legal advice to clients within Roche Diagnostics. Primary responsibility (approximately 60% of time in role) involves all aspects of commercial contracts and business law: Minimize risk associated with the (a) marketing, sales and service of products within the United States and (b) development and production of local and global products. Secondary responsibilities will be apportioned equally between: Ethics and Compliance assisting with investigations, roll-out, training and application of Compliance policies and rendering advice on compliance with the Company and regulatory requirements; and Employment supporting the Chief Employment Counsel with HR compliance projects, counseling and risk mitigation. Other duties as appropriate may be assigned by legal department leadership. Provides a “cross-business” practice perspective or industry perspective to the Legal Function and business based on prior experience. Contributes to Law Function’s policy and position-setting based on cross-functional expertise and exposure to multiple aspects of Roche business
A seasoned professional with a positive can-do attitude, flexibility and adaptability, wide-ranging experience, business acumen, professionalism and sound judgment. Deals with diverse and often times complex and sensitive issues, where analysis may require discretion, collaboration and in-depth evaluation of many factors. Exercises judgment in evaluating methods and may determine criteria for obtaining solutions. Networks with senior internal and external personnel in area of expertise as well as some key contacts outside area of expertise.
• Primarily provide counseling on commercial and business law issues to all functional groups within or providing services to the relevant business unit, including business unit management, marketing, sales, research and development, and manufacturing. Develop an in-depth working knowledge of the business unit’s products, pipeline, market and business models and apply this knowledge in delivering legal advice.
• In addition, support elements of the company’s Ethics and Compliance program including the employee ethics-line reporting system, employee training, investigations, and reporting obligations.
• Assist the Ethics & Compliance team with ensuring Company compliance with laws, regulations and industry standards that include, among others, state and federal anti-kickback statutes, compliance with laws impacting CLIA labs and IDTFs, compliance with FDA and other relevant regulatory requirements, and compliance with applicable corporate codes and policies (e.g., the Company’s Code of Conduct on Interactions with Health Care Professionals, which is based on the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals).
• Assist the local Head Legal in the Employment area related to counseling to HR on a variety of employment-related matters, including disability accommodations, leaves of absence, employment discrimination and harassment claims and charges, discipline and termination matters, reductions-in-force, wage and hour compliance, restrictive covenants, personnel policies and procedures. Balance risk and legal compliance requirements with the impact to the employee experience. Embody the Roche cultural beliefs and do what it takes to ensure that Roche is and continues to be a “great place to work”.
• Foster cross-functional and unit collaboration and understanding of Roche Diagnostics b businesses, products, customers and goals.
• Review and keep business unit management informed of legal developments.
• Work as a liaison between clients and subject matter expert attorneys (intellectual property, regulatory, fraud and abuse) to ensure effective mitigation of risk in specialized areas of law.
• Negotiate, draft and review contracts and other legal documents required by the business unit.
• Work with global business area and affiliate attorneys as necessary to assist clients in achieving business goals.
Who you are:
• Doctor of Jurisprudence from an ABA-accredited law school, licensed to practice law in one or more of the 50 states.
• At least five years experience practicing law at a large- to medium-sized law firm or within a corporate law or contracting department; practice must include business transactions and contracting.
• Experience representing a company in a similar industry or experience representing multiple businesses within Roche Diagnostics
• Willingness and ability to deliver a consistent message in the face of pressure or adversity.
• A demonstrated ability to establish and maintain open, candid and trusting work relationships.
• If not licensed in Indiana, must become licensed to practice law in Indiana within 6 months of commencement of employment with Roche. Must maintain an active Indiana law license in “good standing” in order to retain employment.
• Excellent drafting skills with keen attention to detail.
• Strong organizational and negotiation skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work with multiple deadlines in a large variety of projects effectively, on time and in a cost-efficient manner.
• Litigation experience