Who we are and what we do:
Our vision is to create novel and highly differentiated medicines. To this end, we discover and develop novel therapeutic antibodies and next generation biologics, such as bispecific antibodies or fusion proteins. Our ambition is to deliver such novel molecules to patients with game changing clinical benefit.
We are looking for a new department head (m/f/d) with a keen interest in the fields of drug discovery and development who will manage a team of ca. 20+ scientists and research associates. Our employees are dedicated to the in-depth characterization of next generation antibody therapeutics by mass spectrometric methods.
The department belongs to a unit called Large Molecule Research within Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED). This position therefore offers the opportunity to interact with numerous functions within Roche to deliver novel medicines to patients.
The job in a nutshell: Leadership position in a fast paced environment and rapidly changing R&D organization.
Key strategic focus of this position and key responsibilities:
- You are part of a team that shapes and implements Large Molecule Research strategy
- You are responsible for the strategic and personal management of the unit’s mass spectrometry department and delivery of results to project teams
- In this context, your department develops suitable methods for therapeutic protein characterization
- You move forward the digital transformation of analytical workflows including high throughput data analysis
- You closely collaborate with Pharma Technical Development (PTD) for the transition of projects from research to early development
- You ensure optimal project workflows, also with regard to their prioritization, planning and controlling of costs and investment budget
- You initiate external collaborations while exploring technology development
- You contribute to positioning the division and department both internally as well as externally as a renowned center of excellence through regular publications, presentations at international congresses and patent registrations
- You are aware of work safety regulations and make sure that these regulations are communicated and implemented in accordance with internal Roche rules
You are enthusiastic about leading people, driving change and thinking strategically in an R&D environment. You have the courage to constantly challenge the status quo. Furthermore, you are able to deal with ambiguity and uncertainty.
- At least eight years of experience in R&D (pharmaceutical industry or biotechnology) in a leadership position
- Proven track record of building a creative and motivating work environment
- Experience with change initiatives and change management with a focus on cultural and digital transformation
- You are recognized as a team player who cares about people
- You focus on the big picture and easily align the goals for your area of responsibility with the overall strategy
- You have a professional way of interacting with internal and external stakeholders
- You like to question the status quo, adopt new approaches and lead major change initiatives
- A Ph.D.-level degree in Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry
- At least 5 years of experience in drug development
- Profound knowledge of in-depth protein characterization in an R&D environment
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills in English (written and spoken)
We look forward to your application!
Whom to contact
E. Hallermayer-Jahreiß +498856/60 19253
For technical questions, you can use our FAQ
Should you have recruiting specific questions on your application or the specific job posting, please contact the responsible recruiter (E. Hallermayer-Jahreiß, +498856/60 19253).
For your application, please keep it simple. We only ask you for an updated CV. A motivation letter is also not needed. However, please let us get to know you by submitting a short essay (max. half a page) exposing the meaning the following topic has to you:
“Leadership in an R&D environment: please explain the challenges and opportunities for organizations like Roche”
Ideally, please submit CV + essay in one document. All further relevant documents such as certificates, reference letters etc. will be handled at a later stage.