Directs the activities of a software test and quality assurance function. Develops quality standards for company business and quality systems and products, and oversees the development and execution of software test plans and analysis of test results. Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. The primary function of this functional discipline is to verify that the system complies with the functional specification. In attempting to have zero-defect code, the Test/QA team is actively involved in the development process to ensure that quality is built into the product, instead of being tested into the product. Test/QA prepares the test plans and manages the bug tracking process. This role works independently but in parallel with development and maintains checks and balances throughout the development process.
- Provide direct supervision and management of software test and quality personnel, which includes conducting performance reviews, administrative approvals, and development planning.
- Oversee the creation and approval of software test protocols.
- Interact with other departments and functions in the company to establish software validation requirements and processes.
- Apply advanced professional concepts to contribute to the development of novel company concepts and principles to achieve objectives in creative, original and effective ways on both new and existing products.
- Investigate the feasibility of applying a wide variety of software verification and validation principles and concepts within the software development process.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theory. Identify and recommend long term technologies of relevant company interest and propose long-term development strategy on cutting-edge trends and developments in area of expertise.
- Monitor work to ensure quality, and continuously promote Quality First Time. • Manages staff; provides staff with coaching, training and opportunities to develop skills, and gives ongoing, constructive and timely feedback on performance and progress toward goals and expectations.
- A Bachelor's degree (in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field) or equivalent training/education.
- A minimum of 6 years related experience, a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Proven ability to work on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
- Proven ability to apply innovative solutions to complex problems while also solving for the complete system under test.
- Use innovation and creativity where little or no precedence exists.
- Exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Familiarization with modular structured software development.
- Ability to create/follow written procedures and document work accurately.
- Proven ability to present and discuss data, present alternative action plans (and consequences), and clearly communicate recommendations to any level of the organization.
- Proven ability to contribute and interact productively with project teams as a creative, innovative engineer; accountable for deadlines.