Establishes the vision, develops procedures, and facilitates execution of strategic activities for assigned team. Drives requirements into system and subsystem definition, architectural design with focus on, product reliability and quality and efficiency. Leads an extended team in a functional discipline to complete project tasks for the successful completion of product development deliverables and to meet key business results.
•Provides technical knowledge of engineering principles and their application to developing cost-effective, reliable and high-quality systems that satisfy customer needs and business requirements. Reviews and analyzes customer and business requirements, and articulates and documents system requirements and functions.
•Generates and analyzes alternative architectures, developing preferred architectures, communicating and coordinating with marketing and cross-functional development teams, and assisting with the management of the balance between development cost, schedule, quality and performance.
•Applies diversified knowledge of engineering principles, practices and implementation in the development of complex diagnostic systems.
•Continuously improves and expands capabilities in engineering best practices and advises teams on the selection and deployment of appropriate tools and standards.
•Ensures the maintenance and continuous development of skills and technical expertise required by team in order to support product development initiatives.
•Maintains extensive knowledge of state-of-the-art principles, theories, and practices around engineering related activities. Identifies and recommends long term tools, standards and methods to drive continual Engineering and Development improvement. Proposes long-term engineering strategy to achieve Roche Tissue Diagnostic’s instrument technology and program goals.
•Conducts and participates in design/project technical reviews.
•Monitors work to ensure quality and continuously promote Quality First Time.
•Performs other duties and tasks as defined by Platform Systems Engineering.
•Manages staff; provides staff with coaching, training and opportunities to develop skills, and gives ongoing, constructive and timely feedback on performance and progress toward goals and expectations.
Bachelor's Degree: BS in Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline.
Master's Degree: MS in Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline.
Ph.D.: PhD in Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline.
Years of Experience:
12 years: With BS: 12 or more years of progressive work experience demonstrating increased competencies. Experience performing in a leadership capacity..
10 years: With MS: 10 or more years of progressive work experience demonstrating increased competencies. Experience performing in a leadership capacity.
8 years: With PhD: 8 or more years of progressive work experience demonstrating increased competencies. Experience performing in a leadership capacity.
Knowledge, Skill & Ability:
- Competency in multiple Mechanical Enginering skills as stress, thermal and fluidics engineering principles, design and fabrication of stamped, machined, welded, plastic formed, plastic injection molded parts, automation, motion control and sensing, tolerance stack-up and GD&T, 3D-CAD modeling and design drafting, FEA, CFD.
- Experienced with utilizing DFMEA to identify risk associated with designs and taking appropriate actions to mitigate risks to acceptable levels. Familiar with deploying DFX methodologies to create designs which are manufacturable, serviceable, reliable etc.
- Drives solution based on root cause and propagates a mindset of Quality First Time (QFT). Knowledge of root cause analysis methodologies, DMAIC, Six Sigma tool sets.
- Ability to independently build, mentor and lead Engineering teams to achieve development targets.
- Ability to present and discuss data, present alternative action plans (and consequences), and clearly
communicate recommendations to any level of the organization.
- Ability to prepare and manage departmental budgets, and to plan and allocate resources to support Lifecycle projects.
- Strong managerial, assessment and team building abilities. Skilled in following HR processes for talent management, performance review, objective setting and recruiting.
- Ability to contribute and interact productively and collaboratively with project teams as a creative,
innovative manager dedicated to medical device product development under FDA regulated environment.
- Skilled in identifying and hiring functional resources with appropriate skill set to support Lifecycle projects
- Demonstrated skill in applying Design for Excellence and Reliability tools and practices, expertise and
methodologies to deliver complex programs.
- Demonstrated skill in executing sophisticated technology programs using a Systems approach.
- Ability to work on complex problems with analysis of situations or data towards successful outcomes.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.