The Senior Sourcing Manager is responsible for the execution of Direct Procurement Operations activities within a specific region, country or site as well as supplier management responsibilities (negotiating, contracting, performance management) in alignment with Category Management team. As a team member in the Direct Procurement Operations team, the role is responsible for executing various value-add activities including, but not limited to, first-level escalation from business stakeholders, master data management, supplier performance management, and driving cost savings / continuous improvement initiatives to ensure maximum value-add to Operations. Depending on the site or organizational needs some Senior Sourcing Manager roles may have management responsibility for one or more Sourcing Managers / Sourcing Specialists, and provide these resources with day-to-day directions and guidance in performing responsibilities.
The Senior Sourcing Manager is responsible for ensuring all procurement requests are executed in line with category guidance, and in compliance with relevant policies, standards, guidelines, and operating procedures, including preferred supplier arrangements and contracting requirements. The Senior Sourcing Manager works with Procurement and Business stakeholders to understand requirements, and execute the relevant procurement process by applying appropriate methodologies, tools, and value levers. To support value delivery, the role collaborates with the Category Management teams to address end-user requirements, and escalates opportunities for aggregation and leverage. Through continuous improvement methodologies, this role ensures consistent value-delivery through gaining operational efficiencies and driving optimal supplier performance. As part of the procurement process the role also collaborates with legal and / or contracting functions to support contracting activities such as the preparation and review of master agreements, statements of work, change orders, or similar documents.
The Senior Sourcing Manager has knowledge of business enterprise tools (e.g. SAP) and the overall procurement process / methodology, such as documenting requirements, conducting analysis and negotiations, and communicating with stakeholders and suppliers. The role has a strong understanding of internal stakeholder functions and requirements, and effectively translates business needs into procurement requirements.
By efficiently and effectively executing the procurement process end-to-end, the Senior Sourcing Manager ensures that end user demand and expectations are satisfied. In addition to providing high levels of internal customer service, the role also contributes to overall savings opportunity identification and delivery.
- Lead procurement operations teams (where applicable) – Lead small teams of Sourcing Managers for specific stakeholder groups or areas of spend, ensuring a focus on cycle-times and quality of customer service.
- Perform procurement operations activities - Execute procurement operations activities within Region or site ensuring a focus on efficiency, compliance, and the quality of customer service. This includes the following actions:
- Understand end user requirements as received directly or indirectly.
- Leverage the applicable category guidance documents and procurement knowledge to determine the best method for driving value in meeting the request.
- Execute support requests, applying continuous improvement methodologies where possible.
- Ensure compliance to applicable policies, standards and operating procedures in order to maintain the organization’s right to operate.
- Communicate the status, progress, and outcomes of procurement activities.
- Support the creation and review of relevant purchasing documentation.
- Maintain information flows - Responsible for maintaining strong information flows back to the Category Management teams in the event of:
- High-value or non-standard requests (i.e. those not covered by guidelines).
- Opportunities to aggregate demand and generate additional leverage.
- Regular submission of operations data and requirements to develop new strategies.
- Apply sourcing process - Application of the sourcing process (RfIs, RfQs, RfPs) for the delivery of sourcing activity, incl. the application of eSourcing tools. Support the implementation of new processes, policies, and technologies.
- Collaborate with support functions - Collaborate on an as-needed basis with relevant business support functions (e.g. Accounts Payable) to drive operational efficiencies and maximum value-add to the business.
- Monitor targets and KPIs – Ensure that Direct Procurement Operations targets and metrics on customer service are delivered. Track and monitor these metrics where required, and escalate issues as they arise.
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) - Support CSR initiatives related to (candidate) suppliers, e.g. supplier diversity, anti-bribery, animal welfare, etc.
People Accountabilities (where direct reports exist)
- Develop people – Coach procurement team members and provide opportunities for professional development. Define a succession plan for the team to support career development and ensure a pipeline of talent.
- Manage performance - Manage performance and talent development for all direct functional reports and contribute to feedback to project or other related resources, according to Roche’s standards.
- Training – Perform continuous professional development activities and ensure up to date training in processes and systems relevant to position
- Sourcing Managers and/or Sourcing Specialists: 0 to 5
Education, experience and skills
- University degree, with business related degree preferable.
- Business level fluency in English as well as primary business language of the site(s).
- 3+ years procurement experience with experience in basic contracting, business enterprise systems, and spot buying.
- Experience or demonstrated understanding in supporting cost reduction and value improvement programs.
- Good communication skills and demonstrated understanding of translating business requirements into procurement specifications with customer service in mind.
- Knowledgeable in systems and processes for efficient management of contract documentation, templates and processing tools (e.g. eSourcing, eAuction).
- Post graduate business related qualification.
- Documented international Strategic Sourcing or cost reduction experience.
- Experience in operational excellence or continuous improvement methodologies
- Life Sciences experience.
- Professional purchasing (e.g. CIPS, ISM) or Finance related licenses or certifications.
- Experience with enterprise systems and procure to-pay tools and eSourcing tools.
- Competence or fluency in other sub-region languages is strongly encouraged.
Travel requirements: Minimal 10%