At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we believe that good business means a better world.
The position as a Medical Director is in the Ophthalmology group in Basel of Roche’s Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) organization. The Ophthalmology Group in pRED, Basel has a robust early development portfolio in both retinal and anterior segment diseases. We work closely with many internal and external experts across many specialties.
As a Medical Director, you have the unique opportunity to apply your clinical and research knowledge to shape the future of Ophthalmology. You will lead clinical projects through proof of mechanism and proof of concept to transform molecules into new medicines in areas with high unmet medical need.
Position Scope and Impact:
- Leads clinical teams, comprising different functions to drive projects from preclinical through early clinical development
- Develops and presents the clinical development plan to management boards to progress the project through governance
- Represents clinical functions in preclinical discovery projects and clinical project teams to ensure inclusion of important clinical aspects from start
- Represents the clinical function at health authority interactions to ensure appropriate flow of clinical information
- Contributes to disease area strategy planning to influence the future portfolio
- Participates in evaluating external opportunities
- Establishes new research areas to adapt to new needs and maintain a rich pipeline
- Organizes scientific advisory board meetings to gather state of the art input
- Establishes and leads external collaborations in line with disease area strategy to integrate Roche into the scientific community and foster scientific exchange
- Represents Roche at congresses to create and maintain the awareness of Roche in Ophthalmology
- Acts as key clinical scientific contact / medical monitor in clinical studies
- Develops and maintains talent in clinical functions to ensure sustained high level of clinical expertise
Education and experience:
You are MD or MD/PhD in ophthalmology (board certification is an asset) and bring a strong clinical development background with a record of accomplishment of scientific excellence (high quality publications in the field).
A MD or MD/PhD in another therapeutic area with, at least 10 years ‘experience in the ophthalmology field, and with the clinical development expertise can be also considered.
In joining Roche pRED, your understanding drug development in early stages is a clear asset for this role.
Are you ready to apply? Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building teams that represents a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
If you still have questions then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.Research & Development, Research & Development > Research