GPS (Global Product Strategy) drives the business strategy at Roche from research to commercialization. GPS collaborates closely with teams across the organization to bring new therapies to the market and maximize the launched product portfolio. With your ability to work in the detail yet see the big picture you can influence the direction of the company in a disease area. At Roche we offer you chances to create your career inside or outside of GPS. With offices in 160 countries, we offer a truly international experience depending on where your interests take you.
The Data Scientist will be responsible for creating value from data assets using advanced analytics capabilities, such as data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence methods, to identify critical business issues and opportunities for the strategic direction of Roche as part of the Advanced Analytics and Business Insights (AABI) Center of Excellence. In this role, the individual will work closely with the AABI team and the broader GPS/I8 teams to define use cases, frame analytical solutions and roadmaps, and implement analysis to drive business impact for Roche across the Commercial, Market Access, Medical, and Finance teams. They will work closely with IT to develop state-of-the-art analytical capabilities to address identified needs.
The Data Scientist is a subject matter expert on analytics, data, and measurement. Their technical expertise and strong leadership is recognized externally (speaking at conferences and industry events) and internally (proactively providing market expertise and strategic guidance to key stakeholders, while learning and sharing methodologies for complex analyses). They integrate multiple data sources to become a trusted, objective source of strategic insights and compelling recommendations to the Commercial organization and our internal partners.
In this position, the person will be accountable to consistently and effectively:
- Set strategic direction by working across GPS/I8 to understand business needs and translate them into use cases to drive business impact for Roche
- Partner with the data platform and governance team and IT to ensure that data strategy has the ability to resolve use cases in the most efficient and effective manner
- Apply analytical and statistical methods to solve identified use cases in an agile manner using multiple data sources and analytical tools
- Develop, implement, and evolve the role of data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence capabilities across GPS and I8 Commercial, Market Access, Medical, and Finance teams
- Automate analyses and develop interactive, employee-facing tools, platforms, and systems that inform, support, and enable business decisions across Roche by delivering insights in a speedy and efficient manner
- Provide technical/analytical expertise to team through secondary data analytics
- Collaborate within cross-functional teams to develop solutions, gain alignment and deliver impactful business insights; engage necessary stakeholders to enable better decision-making
- Openly share perspective and insights to elevate team thinking and drive a balanced, holistic point of view; effectively weigh and communicate trade-off considerations
- Take an enterprise mindset, linking individual responsibilities with broader organization; focus on outcomes that provide most business value
- Demonstrate self-accountability
- Look for opportunities for continuous improvement; engage managers and peer group regularly for coaching, assistance, and advocacy
- Act as a thought partner and advisor to all relevant teams and stakeholders; look for and establish opportunities for peer mentorship
Key Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Masters/PhD in Data Science, Statistics, or related graduate-level degree
- At least three years analytical experience, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- Very strong technical skills: designed and conducted analyses to generate insight and recommendations; proficiency in analytical tools (Python, Spark, R etc.) and cloud computing environments
- Demonstrated ability to influence without direct authority and to develop and maintain strong partnerships
- Exceptional structured problem-solving and strategic agility abilities
- Excellent communication skills: simplifying complex information into clear, synthesized insights and presenting them to stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Experience with global pharmaceutical data: syndicated sales, promotional & marketing data, longitudinal patient-level data, payer data. Additional knowledge of primary market research or medical research data is a plus.
- Experience using patient level data (medical/retail claims) to analyze treatment and usage patterns
- Experience working with commercial teams and marketing analytics
- Experience with advanced statistical techniques such as experimental design, CHAID, uncertainty analysis, data mining, segmentation methods, multivariate regression, construction of score-cards, or predictive modeling
- Excellent speaking abilities; strong network around data science and analytics
- Proven track record for consistently meeting or exceeding qualitative, as well as any relevant quantitative, targets and goals
- Ability to communicate statistical and technical ideas and results to non-technical clients in written and verbal form, including experience and level of comfort presenting concepts to senior executives
- Impeccable ethics and integrity
- Business travel is required for regular internal and external business meetings
Do you have any questions? Please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Are you ready to apply? We are looking for someone who thinks beyond the job offered - someone who knows that this position can be a rare springboard to many other opportunities at Roche.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.