At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are daring in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world. That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
This position is in the Neuroscience Translational Medicine group, part of the Neuroscience and Rare Disease department and the Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) organization. You are responsible for the execution a of clinical programs bringing broad experience in science and clinical development, scientific mindset and the ability to specialize.
You act as the front-line clinical science representative in cross-functional teams, work on the details to execute a clinical program, and act as complement to the Translational Medicine Leader.
As a Medical Director, you will lead early stage clinical projects through proof of mechanism and proof of concept to transform molecules into new medicines in area with high unmet medical need.
Position Scope and Impact:
- Manages drug development project strategies that influence the strategy of a pRED function (i.e. scientifically influences drug developmental strategies across multiple stages of development; scientific impact is beyond pRED)
- Capability to apply technical skills outside own core Disease Area(s)
- Establishes new research areas, technologies or programs (i.e. thought leader for multiple development projects within function; scientific reviewer of projects impacting a cross-company dimension)
- Key translational representative on discovery projects
- Key member in Early Development Teams driving projects from Clinical Candidate Selection (CCS) to Life Cycle Investment Point (LIP)
- Develops and owns the Clinical Development Plan (CDP) with a vision for CDP from early development to decision to file
- Responsible for strategies that facilitate the progress of projects with a cross-company dimension (i.e. initiates and implements critical cross-functional strategic activities impacting drug development within pRED)
- Represents Roche at congresses and to local and international authorities
- Ideally acts as key clinical scientific contact / medical monitor / answers selected medical queries
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Managerial Responsibilities:
- May work individually or as Matrix Lead or People Lead
- Supervises, mentors, motivates and provides successful career development for scientists and/or team members
- Inspiring role model; able to attract, develop and retain scientific talent
- Integrates pRED Guiding Principles into everyday behaviors and activities
- Successfully applies the Roche Leadership Commitments, recognized for demonstrating our Roche Core Competencies for Senior Leader
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills, keen listener and effective communicator
- Is an advocate for change and encourages adoption of new approaches and demonstrates ongoing commitment to become more dynamic, agile and continuously improves
- Creates an innovative and inclusive culture
Scientific Innovation and Influence
- Proven track record of scientific excellence that has significantly impacted development of compounds
- Recognized by peers for scientific excellence (i.e. matter expertise across broad scientific area/multiple areas/clinical specialties; appreciated for scientific vision and strategy; recognized for scientific rigor and analytical evaluation skills; scientific influence reaches beyond pRED)
- Maintains external scientific presence through high quality publications in peer-reviewed journals and oral presentations in international congress
- Has contributed to advancements in own field of science
- Track record in Industry experience.
Education and experience:
MD preferred and extensive drug development experience including taking compound to a Proof of Concept decision
Negotiated successfully with HA Development of new methodology
Excellent understanding of all aspects and scientific methods used in Translational Medicine
Is recognized as a thought leader in their field
An MD or MD/PhD and board certification in Psychiatry is a strong asset
Board certification in Psychiatry with fellowship training in Psychiatry, e.g. Autism combined with either Research experience or Industry experience in this area is a strong asset
Excellent leadership, strong communication and direct management track record are expected.
Are you ready to apply? We are looking a person who thinks beyond the job offered - someone who knows that this position can be a rare springboard to many other opportunities at Roche.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building teams that represents a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you still have questions then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.