Roche Diagnostics acquired Stratos Genomics (SBX Nanopore Sequencing) in 2020 for its novel Sequencing by eXpansion (SBX™) technology. SBX™ uses unique applications from chemistry, biochemistry, and protein engineering to sequence DNA by nanopore in rapid time with high accuracy and low cost. You will join the Detection Chemistry team to further develop the nanopore technology through research and development efforts.
The Detection Chemistry team is passionate and dedicated to our SBX™ technology and the impact high throughput, low-cost DNA sequencing will have on patient outcomes. We are looking for individuals who share this passion and are excited to join a dynamic research and development team.
Include a cover letter outlining why you want to work with us, your specific interest in our technology, and how you would contribute.
• After introduction to work processes and understanding of established SOPs, begins working with our nanopore-based detection platform to continue research and development efforts of our novel DNA sequencing technology, Sequencing by Expansion (SBX)™.
• Uses technical and theoretical understanding to propose and execute high quality laboratory experiments, keeping processes and findings well organized and on time. Communicates effectively with the supervisor on project status, significant findings, or critical problem areas.
• Analyzes and interprets experimental data using various data analysis software (e.g., Excel, Python, or other coding languages) and/or applying quantitative methods. Summarizes experimental results with a keen observational eye to anomalies, deviations and new paths of inquiry. Reviews conclusions with supervisor/project leader.
• Uses technical writing skills to produce comprehensible reports and documents in a timely manner, presenting findings as appropriate to internal team members.
• Assumes accountability for electronic lab notebook documentation, ensuring experimental methods and results are recorded timely, accurately and consistently, and according to established formats.
• Works independently and manages own work flow to accomplish assigned objectives.
• Troubleshoot issues related to instrumentation.
• Analyzes and brainstorms alternative approaches to solve problems and propose solutions.
• Participates in routine lab maintenance, lab safety, ISO, and QSR implementation.
• Performs work according to established internal safety guidelines and procedures, and as specified by appropriate external regulatory agencies (e.g., OSHA). Makes recommendations and acts as appropriate to keep the lab a safe environment for all team members, including regular housekeeping tasks. • Maintains a clean and organized personal and communal lab space.
• Adheres to Roche Diagnostics Seattle policies and supports management decisions and goals in a positive, professional manner.
• Doctorate, Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Molecular biology, Protein Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work-experience
• Ability to execute relevant laboratory experimentation with appropriate controls.
• Ability to recognize and resolve basic problems encountered in experimental procedure.
• Mastery of basic laboratory techniques (e.g., pipetting, sterile technique, solution preparation, etc.).
• Comfortable with standard molecular biology techniques (e.g., mutagenesis, protein expression/purification, etc.).
• Very good organization skills with excellent attention to detail.
• Advanced comfort with basic computer applications (e.g., Word, Excel, etc.).
• Ability to work safely within the lab and take appropriate actions to ensure lab safety.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a keen ability to listen to directions and company goals and execute them effectively.
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with individuals and groups at all organizational levels.
• Previous experience working with nanopore technologies.
• Experience with AKTA FPLC.
• Experience with nanopore or transmembrane protein expression/purification.
• Experience with coding or programming applications (e.g., Python, VBA, Matlab, etc.).
• Experience with AKTA Unicorn, Pymol, and Geneious.