Title: Scientific Computing Ops Team Lead
The gRED IT Scientific Computing team seeks a talented and motivated Scientific Computing Operations Team Lead. Your responsibilities will include managing a team of scientific computing operations engineers, owning the operations strategy across high performance computing (HPC) and cloud components, and partnering with a diverse team of scientists and IT staff to design, deploy, maintain and integrate DevOps and legacy ops solutions. The job will utilize and build on your experience in scientific computing, automation, DevOps, HPC, cloud computing, Linux environments and storage, as you will also contribute directly to the technical work.
Genentech Research & Early Development (gRED) is a world class scientific organization that consistently leads the industry in Pharmaceutical and Biotech discovery. gRED's primary mission is to identify and develop drug target candidates that lead to novel therapies to treat patients with serious or life-threatening medical conditions. gRED encourages an open, academic-like atmosphere and frequently publishes in top-tier, peer reviewed journals.
The gRED IT Scientific Computing (SciComp) team is embedded in the gRED informatics organization.
- Manages a team of DevOps and application operations engineers
- Leads HPC operations for middleware and application scientific computing domains
- Leads private and public cloud compute and DevOps strategy and support
- Hands-on development of technical deliverables
- Grows and develops a high performing team consisting of both internal full-time employees and contractors
- Develops work group goals, objectives and budget and obtains necessary approvals; cascades goals, objectives, and budget, where applicable, to direct reports
- Participates on a number of cross-team initiatives and goals as the IT representative
- Collaborates with other DevOps / technical operations groups across the organization as required to achieve goals
- Meets with scientist and informatics partners to determine needs and develop appropriate solutions
- Responds to and addresses scientist and informatics partner feedback, escalations and gaps in IT delivery to ensure customer satisfaction
This position is not eligible for relocation.
- 12-15+ total years technical IT work experience (9+ w/ advanced degree)
- 3-5+ years hands on experience with DevOps and CI/CD operations
- B.S. degree in information systems, engineering, computer science, or other scientific field desired
- Previous experience leading Operations or DevOps teams
- Proficient programming skills in Python or bash is a must
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code/DevOps tools such as Boto, CloudFormation, Jenkins, Git, Terraform, Ansible
- Hands-on experience with container technologies including Docker or Singularity including scalable deployment and orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes) is a must
- Solid understanding of Linux including system administration
- A professional focus on solution delivery and excellent customer service
- Excellent interpersonal skills with your own team, technical IT partners, and customers
- Can communicate effectively in both written and verbal form to non-technical audiences
- Plus: Expert hands-on experience with at least one cloud provider AWS, GCP, or Azure; certification (architect etc.)
- Experience working with Agile/Scrum
- Experience leading mixed local/remote teams
- Experience supporting a scientific organization