Finance Perspectives Programme
Are you a talented finance professional in the early stages of your career?
Do you possess outstanding academic qualifications and are looking to achieve your full potential by gaining global work experience in different areas of finance?
Then the Roche Finance Perspectives programme is the perfect next step in your professional career.
The next recruitment cycle is foreseen to start in autumn 2021.
The recruitment process looks as follows:
After initial pre-selection rounds including an online assessment and interviews, the final candidates will be invited to a two-day assessment in Basel (Switzerland).
Due to the COVID-19 situation, it is also possible that this Assessment Center will take place virtually on the same dates. The programme start is planned for 1 September 2022.
To be eligible, you should
- ... have an excellent academic track record: an MBA or Master’s degree specialising in finance
- ... be in the early stage of your career: between one and five years of work experience (including apprenticeships and internships), with at least 6 months spent in a foreign country and with a clear focus on finance
- ... have a minimum of six months’ experience (academic or professional) in a foreign country; ideally, you also have experience of a developing region
- ... show strong leadership potential and have the ambition to take on a leadership position in finance in the near future
- ... have the ability to live the Roche values of Integrity, Passion and Courage as a programme participant and future leader
- ... have a global mindset and a high degree of mobility, both during the programme and afterwards
- ... be a team player and be able to integrate well into different cultures and business settings
- ... be someone who is keen to learn about the business and about finance
- ... have strong interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills
- ... be fluent in English and preferably bilingual; a willingness to learn other languages would be an asset
- ... have the relevant technology skills
We are looking for someone who thinks beyond the job offered – and who knows that this position can be a rare springboard to many other opportunities at Roche. When applying for this position, you should already project yourself into the future. Think about what could come next and how you would like to build your future.
GoalThe aim of this program is to
- ... develop future finance leaders (see Roche Leadership Commitments) who demonstrate excellence in finance and in leadership
- ... build a well-rounded understanding of Roche’s business model and Finance functions across different divisions
- ... add individuals with global experience and mindset to Roche’s talent pool
For a rotational period of 2 to 2.5 years
- ... Participants will be involved in 4 to 6 assignments, each rotation being between 4 to 8 months long
- ... The assignments will cover different geographical locations of Roche’s business
- ... Each of these assignments will introduce participants to different areas within Finance as well as the different divisions of Roche: Pharma, Diagnostics and Group
- ... Participants will have access to senior managers through a Steering Committee and will be assigned a mentor to support their career development
Outcomes and Prospects
During the programme
- Experience through assignments in Group functions Finance, Pharma and Diagnostics at headquarters and at affiliates in a range of countries
- Exposure to senior leaders in Finance, including being mentored by one
- Wide networking opportunities across different functions
After the programme
- Increased readiness for further leadership roles in Finance
- Global working experience and a cross-cultural mindset
A proven support structure has been created:
Mentorship: For the duration of the programme, each individual participant will be assigned a member of the senior management team as his/her mentor who will be available for providing support with personal and professional development as well as longer-term retention opportunities.
Steering Committee: A steering committee, made up of senior management with key leadership roles, will assist Perspectives participants in developing their talent at Roche. They will provide participants with professional guidance during the programme and supervise their progress. This committee will also be responsible for ensuring the long-term sustainability of the Finance Perspectives programme.
What does the application process look like?
The application process consists of several rounds: an online Assessment Center followed by two rounds of interviews (remote) and finally an Assessment Center on 27/28 April 2021 (in Basel or virtually, depending on the COVID-19 situation). At each stage, candidates will be informed whether they have been selected for the next round or not.
How is a rotation determined for a participant?
The first rotation is determined by the programme, simply for logistical reasons. It is generally somewhere in Switzerland. Afterwards, each participant plans his/her own rotations with the support of the programme management, the mentor and the fellow participants according to his/her interests and development needs.
Will everyone be based in Basel?
The contract location is Basel for all participants. Some of you will start in HQ Basel and some at Diagnostics in Rotkreuz. Rotations can take place wherever there is a Roche location (more than 100 countries). Rotations can also take you to any part of Roche (Pharma, Diagnostics, Group functions Finance).
Can non-Europeans apply for the programme?
Yes, all nationalities are welcome to apply. If you are selected, Roche will support you in obtaining a visa and a work permit.
Will I have support for the transfer to a new rotation?
Yes, there is a group of experts that will support you in obtaining a visa, work permit, accommodation, etc.
What happens after the programme?
The objective is to find a permanent role within Roche. It is up to each participant to find this role, but everyone is supported in this search by the programme manager, the mentor, the Steering Committee and the personal network created during rotations. There is also some flexibility in terms of the time required. A permanent role may be located anywhere within Roche and the world.
Are the dates for the Assessment Center and the contract start flexible?
The date for the Assessment Center is fixed at 27/28 April 2021, but – depending on the development of the COVID-19 situation – it might take place virtually. Contract start is 1 September 2021.
How many candidates will be selected?
Typically, twelve candidates are selected for the Assessment Center. The number of candidates then selected for the programme depends entirely on the candidates’ performance.
How does the mentorship work?
Each participant is assigned a mentor. The mentor is responsible for the overall development of the participants. This relationship is shaped by the two parties and can develop over time as needed. Typically, a mentor will be a senior manager.
Do you need healthcare/pharma experience to qualify for this program?
No, you are only expected to have a finance background and to meet the requirements stated in the programme description; however, pharma experience is seen as a plus.
Am I also eligible for this programme even if I have only little work experience with maybe only one or two internships?
Yes, you are. Work experience is only one of the eligibility criteria. We expect the requirements in the job description to be met, but also value a broad perspective, your ability to embrace our values and your interpersonal skills.
Is it possible to participate in this program even if I have a partner/family?
Yes, you can participate in this program if you have a spouse/legally registered partner and children. Roche will also support their transfer and visa process; however, housing will be taken into charge by Roche up to a certain is subject to a limit determined by company policy, and there is no schooling or child-care support.
What kind of projects will I be able to participate in once I am in the programme?
There are all kinds of projects within Finance, but you might be able to participate within the business, too, depending on the opportunities that arise and on your development goals.
How to apply?
The recruitment for September 2022 will start in autumn 2021.
Watch the Finance Perspectives webcast recording.